• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dropping the engine??

bukaki_bob

Here's how I do it. Take off the hood and disconnect everything that is hooked up to the motor and front subframe. Disconnect the drivetrain at the guibo. Roll an engine lift under the car with a pallet or a few boards making a platform across the base of the lift. Take out the 4 or 6 subframe bolts and lower the subframe onto the "lift platform." Hook the engine lift to the body and lift the body up at an angle until it clears the engine. Prop the body in it's tilted-up position with a few beefy well-placed boards. Roll the engine lift out of the way (which has the dropped motor, tranny and subframe sitting on it). Jack and yank the motor off the engine lift platform. Then roll the lift back to the car and lower the body back down to terra firma. Pep Boys sells Chinese engine lifts cheap and they are well worth having for a motor drop.

02motorswap.jpg

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

wow, love that method. Did you have any alignment issues afterwards from the cradle not going back into the exact spot it unbolted from? In the past when dropping subframes, I've sprayed paint on the frame and body before pulling it to make it very clear exactly where it came off, and never had any major camber/caster issues afterwards.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

wow, love that method. Did you have any alignment issues afterwards from the cradle not going back into the exact spot it unbolted from? In the past when dropping subframes, I've sprayed paint on the frame and body before pulling it to make it very clear exactly where it came off, and never had any major camber/caster issues afterwards.

The 2002 subframe/body has alignment sleeves built in to it, it will only go in one spot.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

I took my engine out using a slightly modified method of having the car high enough that the engine cleared the front valance. I let the motor/ trans down with a floor jack. The struts where left on the car.

Getting it back in I rolled it under the car and used a hoist ( like in the picture ) to pull it up. In retrospect the install wasn't the easiest method. But it's in, etc.

Just think if you had a lift....

FYI - the hood did not need to be removed.