• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump problem diagnosed

74AlpinaTii

I posted about a month ago regarding the infrequent problem I was having with my fuel pump.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,346627/highlight,/

Here is the update. I took the car to Chris Willett (Only 02) and he found the problem to be electrical. To start, there apparently was not a relay installed for the fuel pump. Chris added a fuel pump relay, but said the fuel pump still was not getting the required amout of voltage. (I believe he said it's suppose to have 12 and it tested at 11.4 volts ***I may be really off on those numbers and am going by my not so good memory).

I picked up the car before he was able to go through it completely and it is still acting up. Chris also wanted to test the fuel pump because he believes it may have ruined a 3rd pump. Added, he also believes the wiring to the pump may be bad, but had not definately determined that yet.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Also, I'm not sure if I want to attempt this or not, but how difficult would it be to run new wiring to the pump if needed?

74 BMW 2002 Tii Alpina A4

75 BMW 3.0 CSi

98 BMW 528i