• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Change Search Default Behavior

Steve:

How about changing the default for the search target to always be "This forum" instead of "This post" when you are in a string... It is exceedingly rare to want to target a search to the current post and when there is nil result, it is confusing folks....

Defaulting to always search the current forum would be preferred....

Edited by Rob S

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I can make Google to be the default search type. Will people want that?

Was about to suggest that. The searches done outside that return sub-optimal results. Case in point, yesterday I wanted to research sale prices of the "32/36" and if I search via Google I get a ton of results (3940) whereby when I search via same string it doesn't handle the "/", so changes search to "3236" which yields a lot less posts. I guess if you can make the Advanced Search search via Google that would suffice. Just seems the forum's search isn't as sophisticated as the Google search and thus misses out on a lot of pertinent topics.