• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling sys overpressure from hose delete????

RandyMolson

I switched carb intake horns to a non-cooled version, I plugged off the hoses that used to feed it. Ever since, I have been springing leaks in the cooling system. Several hoses, cooling pump, and now the heater core.

Coincidence or actual?

The pump is centrifugal, so I would not expect significant overpressure issues from what I did. Anybody know definatively or have similar experience?

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

No, your system is not failing in all the areas you mention because you are no longer routing coolant to the intake.

The fact is any overpressure should only cause the radiator cap to release coolant out the overflow hose, nothing else in the system should leak or burst before that happens.

If you are having issues like you describe, and you know you have not seen anything exit the pressure relief that is in the cap, then your system was weak & all those problems were ripe for failure.

All the hoses & gaskets are supposed to be robust enough to not be effected by any normal operating pressures. And any time pressure rises above "normal", the radiator cap acts as the safety valve & vents out the overflow tube.

Maybe when you were working on the system, something went wrong with the cap & its pressure relief? Fill your rad higher than normal, and put a catch can on the overflow hose to see if the cap relieves pressure & puts coolant in the catch can until the coolant level in the radiator corrects itself.