• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

38/38 tuning

boldtu

I know you're looking for a Weber tuner, but I remember from your previous posts that you have a problem similar to my first 38 problem. TobyB set me straight eventually with the throttle butterfly hint. I couldn't get the idle to settle down even with the choke screw TOTALLY off the cam. As I looked down in the throttle body, i could see the butterflies (down in the body) slightly open with the engine idling at over 1500rpm. As I manually rotated them closed, the engine calmed down. Found out the linkage was too tight and didn't allow full closing. Fixed that, now it's a past problem.

Those butterflies are subject to the linkage (obviously), scraping the intake manifold if it isn't clear, and sticking. Hopefully you checked the clearance between manifold and butterfly before you mounted the carb. Get the choke butterflies open and gaze down in the carb. If the throttle butterflies aren't fully closed, you're off the idle circuit of the carb and won't ever get the idle to settle down. See if you can't manually close those doofers and calm down the idle before you wave the white flag. Then use the baseline tuning on the redlineweber website to see if you can't get it fixed up.

....or take it to a mechanic!

Shoot me an email at wagnerf15@sbcglobal.net if you want a longer, more boring explanation.

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins