• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing brake reservoir, what brake fluid should I use?

elross66

Shouldn't be a big deal, unless you are going to swap to one of the DOT 5 fluids. And you are running your car like a race car....

If you are really worried about it - flush the whole system with alcohol, and then replace it with a good DOT 4 brake fluid. Personally, I swap between ATE blue and ATE gold, just to make sure I get everything flushed correctly.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Castrol makes a readily available high quality DOT 4 brake fluid called "LMA". Available at most auto parts stores. I think flushing with alcohol might be a little overkill - but a good thorough flushing of ALL the old fluid will keep your brakes happy. Don't forget to bleed / flush the clutch slave cylinder!

I use the following brake bleeding procedure:

right rear

left rear

right front (upper, inner, outer) - 3 bleed screws per caliper!

left front (upper, inner, outer)

I use the Ate SuperBlue fluid in my own car, only because it's easier to detect - or identify leaks (duh...it's BLUE!) :-) I HAVE boiled blue fluid on spirited drives w. tii brakes, before though - so it's not the 'ultimate' fluid - but it's excellent for street use.

Want "ultimate"? check out the price of Castrol SRF...$70 / liter! yeesh!

Hope this helps. Stay Safe!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com