• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

advice needed on lathe and milling machine.

oldbimmers

Looking into buying a combo milling/lathe machine and need some advice. I am a complete noobie but can't wait (signed for january classes). Was looking into grizzly machines (g4015z or g9729, 1000 vs 1600 bucks) and need to know their limitations in terms of power, capabilities, tools and accessories. Please feel free to chip in, flame or whatever. I know nothing about it but always want it to learn, it will be just a hobby.

i've looked at those machines with interest before, however i have never used one. the chuck size and specifications seem very limiting though. I think that once you get into it you'll wish you had a full size machine to use. That being said, working at a machine shop, if physical size is an issue the grizzly could be worth it, but if you can afford the space, then i would suggest looking at auctions held for closing/going out of business machines shops. you can usually get a full size lathe or mill for rediculous prices. sometimes 10 to 30% of the original price. its sorta like welders, a small machine will get the job done, but with limits. A bigger machine will be able to tackle all the jobs you could think of and still be better at doing the small jobs than the smaller machine. depending on what you plan on using the machine for, it may be more worth while to go to a machinist and have it done. of corse i have never used one of those smaller machines, perhaps someone else can give credibility to those smaller machines.

Joe

1972 2002tii

I HAVE BEEN MACHINING PARTS FOR ALMOST 30 YEARS .

I HAVE NEVER USED A COMBO MACHINE .

IF YOU ARE SHOPING FOR A USED MILL , OFTEN THEY HAVE HAD THE

WHEELS RUN OFF OF THEM ON JOB SHOPS . YOU CAN GET A GOOD IDEA OF THE MACHINE's CONDITION BY RUNNING THE TABLE TO THE CENTER .

STOP AND SET THE DIAL ( OR READOUT) TO ZERO .

THEN CAREFULLY REVERSE THE DIRECTION OF THE CRANK AND SEE HOW FAT IT TURNS BEFORE THE TABLE STARTS MOVING .

THIS WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF WEAR IS ON THE LEADSCREW .

A NEW MACHINE WILL HAVE LESS THAN 0.010" . A BADLY WORN ONE CAN HAVE TEN TIMES THAT .

YOU CAN EVEN SHAKE THE TABLE TO CHECK FOR PLAY . NICER MACHINES HAVE ADJUSTABLE GIBS TO KEEP IT TIGHT BUT IF THEY ARE ADJUSTED

ALL THE WAY IN AND IT IS STILL LOOSE ...........

I HAVE SEEN PLENTY OF OLDER MACHINES THAT STILL WORK LIKE A NEW ONE . THEY ARE KIND OF LIKE 2002's .

KEEP IN MIND THAT MOST INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT IS MADE TO RUN ON

3 PHASE POWER . MOST PEOPLE DON'T HAVE 3 PHASE AT HOME .

IT IS EXPENSIVE TO CONVERT THE MACHINE TO SINGLE PHASE BUT YOU

CAN INSTALL A PHASE CONVERTER BOX FOR A LITTLE OVER $100 .

reodor.gif

I just bought an used machine similar to the ones posted, with supporting table and some attachments for $400. The problem, as mentioned before is space. Even the small ones ocupy a good size envelope. The other problem, is time. After a month or two of ownership, all I have done is a trial piece - basically an aluminum plug! There are all kinds of stuff you can do with that, and if you have a welder, you can build 99% of the stuff you want. Size comes into play if you already have a long list of stuff you want to make.

I would think you can find a used starter set in the Bay Area - craigs list, etc. I found out that hobby machinists are like 02 owners, they hang out together and share - the individual that sold me the machine is now teaching me the ropes.

FAQ Member # 91