• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heat insulators

Guest dutch

I believe it prevents the heat from transfering throught to the outside of the header, instead, the heat transfers thru the exhaust gasses which for whatever benefit is supposedly better for performance.

One problem for a street car is that often times these 'wraps' can cause rust problems to your header... a race car there is not a problem.

Option would be Jet hot coating... these are my headers with A LOT of miles on them. The grease spots are from my dirty gloves when I pulled them off the car.

header.jpg

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Guest Anonymous

The tape is a heat insulator, so it keeps the exhaust hotter. This is good because the engine will be more efficient if there is a great temperature difference between the intake and exhaust. Cool intake = good, hot exhaust = good.

This actually works out mathematically too - if you ever happen to take a Thermo class and study the Otto cycle, the maximum efficiency of an engine is dependent on the intake and the exhaust temperatures. The bigger the temperature difference, the greater the efficiency.

The bigger the temperature difference, the greater the efficiency.

im glad you said that because i recently got a cold air intake from a saturn but the morons that i bought it from had the picture on their site as a mirror image, so it kinda fits but not really. all i need to do is move the batery to the trunk and the bigger tube will fit and i will get direct air from behind the grill

post-1063-13667561650584_thumb.jpg

post-1063-13667561652063_thumb.jpg

post-1063-13667561654246_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

That first pic is of an MG or one of many MG engined cars but not a saturn and it doesn't have a cold air intake. I don't understand what your question was. The tii suposedly gets more power with the stock air filter than any other, I haven't tested it myself. K&Ns are known for letting dirt into your engine, I wouldn't use one.