• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Compression Check help

rho

I am going to check out a used motor and have some basic questions. I've never done a compression check and need some noob advice.

Will the local Kragen / Autozone carry decent compression testing gauge?

What numbers should I expect from a semi new rebuild with 9.5 pistons and a relatively new rebuilt head?

And finally, what is the best way to test the compression.

Sorry for all the questions,

Thanks

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

You need a compression gauge it crews into the sparkplug hole. You should remove all plugs and turn the engine over with a well charged battery. I think with 9.5:1 you should be looking at low 200 psi. Where are you located I have a gauge and time in the morning if you need some help.

Robert

Trying to buy back my

75 Sahara

Pertronix, 9.5:1, 294, 40mm Solex, 5 speed, MSD

You need a compression gauge it crews into the sparkplug hole. You should remove all plugs and turn the engine over with a well charged battery. I think with 9.5:1 you should be looking at low 200 psi. Where are you located I have a gauge and time in the morning if you need some help.

Robert

Thanks for the info. I'll probably check the motor next weekend... I'm in Alameda. If you are free I'll email you a few days before I go.

Thanks again,

Robert

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i