• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel question

E10&AP1

Hello, I've been a lurker on here for about a year now. I have a question regarding fuel issues. My car(76 non tii) seems to run fine for about 20-30 mins and then seems to not get fuel and shuts off. Really unsure of what it could be thought it might be vapor lock? She does have a aftermarket electric fuel pump and it seems to operate properly. Any help is greatly appreciated

Start by replacing all the rubber fuel hose, in engine bay and at tank. If you still have the hard plastic line in car that is probably ok.

What part of country are you in? These cars typically dont get a true vapor lock.

Frank

Also install a new fuel filter.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Diagnostically, it's sometimes nice to have clear fuel filters in the car so that you can see whether your lines have run dry or fuel is flowing and which route.

When I was having carb troubles (flooding not starvation) I think I had three of them in there at one point, they're little windows into your troubles.

Lucy: 1975 Sahara

I had a problem somewhat similar.

There was junk in the pick up tube in the gas tank. On a lark after changing the pick up screen, I took a small rod and reamed the tube. It was filled with junk sort of looked like coffee grounds. What was interesting was after a while letting it dry it was much smaller.

So I hypothesized was that as gas was being sucked up it absorbed and swelled eventually cutting off the bass flow. After I let it sit it would dry out again and shrink. So when I started up again it was fine, but then would die after running for a while. This took a while to trouble shoot.

The car had been sitting for quite a while before I started the restoration so it was gas residue for last century.

Good Luck.

I had a problem somewhat similar.

There was junk in the pick up tube in the gas tank. On a lark after changing the pick up screen, I took a small rod and reamed the tube. It was filled with junk sort of looked like coffee grounds. What was interesting was after a while letting it dry it was much smaller.

So I hypothesized was that as gas was being sucked up it absorbed and swelled eventually cutting off the bass flow. After I let it sit it would dry out again and shrink. So when I started up again it was fine, but then would die after running for a while. This took a while to trouble shoot.

The car had been sitting for quite a while before I started the restoration so it was gas residue for last century.

Good Luck.

Thank you this sounds exactly like what my car seems to be doing. I can go out like a half hour later and the car fires right up like nothing happened. But if I try and start immediately after it dies all it does is crank. So did you just drain the gas and clean your tank really good?

I just cleaned the tube, of course after replacing the filters and a new fuel pump ...After I cleaned the pick up tube the problem went away.

The PO owner said he cleaned the tank; it was a stalled restoration when I got it, so I thought that it was a part he never got around to. The car had been sitting for about 25 years when I got it; last tags were 1984.