• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 02 In need of a good mechanic / shop in AZ

Dagger02

Hello. New 2002 owner here in need of some help / advice. I purchased a 76 2002 about 6 months ago. The car is basically stock, but with a weber 36/ 32 carb, and it appears the emissions control stuff has been removed.

my problem is that the time has come for emissions testing and the car failed the test. ( to much carbon monoxide) The PO had informed me that the car would probably not pass, and that his mechanic had put a catalytic converter on last year to get it through testing, then removed it. So this morning I took the car over to the shop where he had work done before. As soon as I said that I had failed emissions they told me they couldn't help me out. They are familiar with the car, and even asked if the PO had given me a catalytic converter when I purchased it. The shop owner explained that they don't really work on carbed cars, and most of his guys are to young to really know how. I was pretty surprised to hear this because the PO had really talked up the shop when I bought the car. Oh well.

so my questions for you guys are: Should my car be able to pass emissions in Arizona If everything is tuned, cleaned, and running well, or will I really have to put on a catalytic converter? Whats a good bmw shop in the phoenix area that will work on my old carbed car?

thanks in advance!

I am an ASE master technician, and an 02 owner. I am currently restoring my first. I work at a shop in Tempe. We work on all makes but if you'd like I can take a look at your car and your emission numbers to see if we can get it through. The catylitic converter idea may not be to bad. An aftermarket, generic cat only cost a couple hundred bucks plus another hundred to have it put in. You can email me at andy.fulton@comcast.net to discuss further.

1970 1600