• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Chamonix sunroof in Salt Lake City, Utah $6000

SCRATCH

*Sigh*

Selling my beloved 2002. Here goes!

1972 BMW 2002

Chamonix White exterior / Black Navy Interior with functional sunroof.

Odometer shows 50k

Clean title in hand

$6000 obo

IMG_5470.jpg

IMG_5464.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

Complete photo gallery here===> http://www.rchptch.com/photos/1972bmw2002

Car has been stored in a garage most of its life, and it shows. It starts right up, and runs like a top. Other than a 'fair' single-stage paint job, it's totally original. I've owned the car for about a year; here's the short version.

EXTERIOR-

I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. From about 10 feet away it looks awesome! But it's certainly no show car. There is 'OK' looking paint job, so it looks great and stays clean and glossy. Very daily-able. The chrome bumpers have slight cracking at the mounts, and there is some light rust developing in the panels of the car. I've tried to document this as best as i can, but if you need more pics, please inquire. There is zero rust on the rear shock towers, but I see rust in the rockers.. and underneath the trunk-door-panel. There is a little light rust around one of the front turn signals, a spot on the rear quarter panel, and front fender by the door. See the pics! Doors all open and shut with ease, and car is 'water tight'. Hood lays totally flat when unlatched.. i sometimes forget to latch it down! Car looks straight and solid.. not like a frankenstein of parts. Hubcaps still look good, but wheels probably need a fresh coat of bright silver paint.

INTERIOR-

This is the best feature of this car. Id give it an 8 or 9 of 10 for an original condition car. Original seats have no tears, and stuffing still looks good. Vinyl is still pliable, and everything smells good. Some wear on the original salt n pepper carpet, and some light discoloration on the otherwise perfect headliner. Dash is a EURO dash, with no offensive labels or FASTEN SEAT BELT placards. Dash has one crack behind the cluster, so you won't see it unless you're in the passenger seat. All the lights work, and the clusters have super clean and clear plastic.. it looks great. This car was originally a no-radio car, and still doesn't have one. So, no antenna! Don't blame be fore the offensive mats- they came with the car! I had intended to get some coco mats, but my job has prevented me from spending too much time with the old girl.

ENGINE-

Car starts right up, and idles low and even. No oil leaks either, so your driveway stays spot free. Has a Crane 700 elect ignition system, and a brand new battery and 320i alternator conversion (thanks FAQ!). So, lights are bright for night cruises up the canyon. Everything looks boring and ready to daily drive. I got it to smoke a little on a really steep hill last fall just after I bought it, but haven't gotten it to do that since. Maybe it was just getting re-broken in after the PO stored it for a year. A Weber 32/36 carb with a linkage assay makes the car plenty quick and quiet. Stock muffler, and pretty much everything else. Also, I've been driving it around on these recent Utah 95+ degree days, and the temp holds cool. I've had ZERO issues with the cooling system on this car. But, I keep a brand-new spare water pump in the back, that will come with the car.

I bought the car from a guy last year, with the intention to keep it and drive it for a long time. However, I'm about to buy my first house, and it's looking like I won't have a garage to store it. AND my job is having me travel like crazy, so I just haven't had the time to love it. I think I need a few years break from 02's but I love these cars. I've had at least one since 2008, and i'm totally hooked. This car is ready to go. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. It's very smooth and easy to drive.. much more like a civic than just a 40 year old car. Put your suit and ray bans on and drive this to the office everyday. (Then maybe sell it back to me in a couple years?). Personally, I think it needs some coco mats, some wheel paint, and then you're done. Someday I think the car deserves a full blown resto, but until then it's ready to enjoy. ***The Nardi wheel was a special gift to me, and will not come with the car. I have the standard black wheel that I'll re-install before you buy it.

That is the major stuff. If you're interested, call me and I'll walk you through it. I would STRONGLY recommend seeing this car in person. I live about 10 mins from the SLC airport, and I hate surprises. So, I'm trying to sell it locally.. if you're out of state, please come see it. I'll take the best pics I can, but nothing beats a physical inspection. (If you CANNOT do that, there are lots of local 02-ers that would be welcome to check it out).

I think thats it! Thanks for looking, and reading this LOONG ad. Please email me for questions at richpatch at gmail.com

$6000 obo

Rich

1972 Chamonix 2002 - Daily

1977 International Scout II

Thanks Rod!

I got the email about it, but I might bs out of town. If not I'm there for sure. I need to see your vert! It's kinda sad I'll be out of the game for a bit, I hope to stay on the email list for drives. I'll let you know if I'm going to make it!

Rich

Thanks Rod!

As a matter of fact.. the new owner is my neighbor, and FAQ-member.. Sir Duncan E! The torch has been passed to him to add to his stable! Duncan, did I just un-fairly oust you as new owner?

I'm certain he'll be joining in the drive this weekend! (And for future events, I've called shotgun) So you guys haven't seen the last of me yet!

Parting shot taken about 15 mins ago, as Duncan rolled away:

http://yfrog.com/h03bgxyj

Rich