• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exhaust from oil fill cap

mthaynestii

After adjusting the valves on my 72tii resto, I started her up and opened the oil fill cap to take a look. I am getting a lot of exhaust from the oil fill hole. The car sat for about 10 years before I got it, and the engine was in unknown, non-running condition when I bought it. Right now she idles kinda bumpy, but revs nice. How much blow-by should I be worried about?

Matt Haynes

72 Malaga 2002tii - Moes

81 Toyota Supra - Cellie

91 Alpinewies 325iC - Ilsa

07 Titansilber 530xi Sport Wagon

Thats not exhaust, it's crank pressure and unless it is real excessive it is normal to have. Even ,my brand new M10 motor Thats why it has a baffle breather at the top of the valve cover

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Guest Anonymous

The blow-by coming from the oil filler is normal up to a point. Chocolate malt gooo on the filler cap is a clue that you have too much blow-by.

Sitting so long the ring might not be lose and are gummed up and stuck. I put in Marvel Mystery oil in my gas! Yes gas. A pint in a tank full 3 or four times will lubricate the upper cylinder and hopefully loosen up your rings.

Have fun and in your case do an "Italian tune up" which is very fun.