NOS or “new Old Stock” might as well mean be prepared to pay through the _______ (fill in the blank).
It’s a bit of a risk as the manufacturers date is sometimes also not known, condition while “new” is still “old” or worse it’s something someone claims is NOS but actually isn’t. Anyway i guess the point is when buying on eBay (or anywhere online for that matter) where you can’t inspect what you are buying is somewhat risky.
Sure you can buy from a reputable seller a
While I continue to slowly rebuild my heater box - going on several weeks,
I got a few other things done today.
- Raided the parts car (orange car in pics) or a few things
Removed and installed radio antenna
circle clip that keeps the roller on the hood release bar end.
I pulled out my rear door cards from the attic, Cleaned and painted them with sem products to match the cardinal red e21 Recaros and and e24 rear seats that are awaiting installation.
I’ve just completed over a week of business travel. I couldn’t wait to get back home and pull off the car cover of my freshly painted 1600 so that I might start the rebuilding/reassembly. So while the engine is being rebuilt I decided to just work on a few little satisfying items.
-tried to polish and installed rear trim
-installed seals for door handles
-Assembled installed rear tail lights with new URO lenses and new gaskets.
-installed my old 1600 horns
Major milestones achieved. 1. While I’ve only seen it in side a building the paint is fantastic! Derby is grey once more. 2. Head built.
Next big big milestone is the bottom half of the engine!
Stay tuned. More pics to follow once it’s back home.
Another package of goodies arrived today for W&N - pics of said goodies attached.
Decided to have a professional rebuild my head instead of doing it myself because I tend to break things, over tighten and take twice as long as it should. So Friday afternoon I dropped off the metric mechanic head, Korman intake and associated bits to a local engine builder RAC engines in laurel MD. I’ll be dropping off the new cam for him later this week.
So - Slowly coming together.
Yeah...so no cool pictures to share at the moment. Will add some later today of some new parts I’ve acquired.
So so while the car is off being painted, im getting some things ready and this weekends project will be to review my overall plan and start preparing my e24 rear seats.
Here is a preview / overview of the build
I have been accumulating parts in anticipation of getting it back from paint.
For the engine
Today I’m meeting a guy in Tyso
With mixed emotions and must say after 1 yr of trying to get the paint and body work done myself with my friends help, I’m throwing in the towel.
Im sending Derby to some professionals to figure out the paint and bodywork.
I’m still roughly sticking with the original color of Derby Grey (Griogio medio).
here are some pics of derby leaving home 😢😉
Thought I’d post an update.
Luckily my buddy that’s helping me is willing to redo rework when we are not happy with something. So the painting continues.
Paintedbthe calipers red with VHT and VHT high heat primer. Not a fan. Sanding them back down and going with the VHT “Real Orange”
Interior and bottom of the car has been sanded, cleaned and painted with POR15.
It never goes as fast as you think it will but, I have not lost faith.
Greetings all! Not sure who’s actually reading these posts, but I do enjoy posting about my progress.
So summers been a little bit slow as far as working on the 1602 goes.
But progress has restarted and the quest to achieve a semi-decent paint job is on going.
You’ve probably heard of the saying two steps forward one step back. Well in my case the summer it’s been .25 steps forward and four steps back.
But I’m happy because progress is indeed bei
Overhauling my heaterbox. Repairing cracked plastic....wow it’s fragile. Don’t ask me how I know. Also if you doing this and reusing your fan blades on a new motor. A Quick way to determine which way the fan blows is to attach it to your drill before punching out the center shaft to affix to new motor. Also not that I read a post somewherethat if you reverse the wiring the fan may blow in a different direction...so there’s that way as well to be cautious of.
Did i I mention this
So with the dash out it made sense to also pull and contemplate a heater box overhaul as well.
So I pulled it from the car today. Fairly easy qty 2 11mm on the bulkhead and two clamps to detach the hoses.
Set it down and cleared away the discintegrated 50 year old foam.
As others have warned...there is still antifreeze in the unit!
I layed down some linoleum on the passenger side floor and tilted it out to that side.... sure enough.
I read as many threads as possible on three piece dashboard removal and attacked the job today.
I found the threads with pics to be most helpful. I think it was pho23 that had a some great pics and I gave his DIY thread titled "Removing a 3 piece dash." dated oct 28 2007 thread 5 Stars.
i followed the steps he described in the thread and found no issues with the instructions at all.
Here are the things I broke in the process.
1. Air ven
So I have removed the rear subframe and all that remains with the body of the car is the wiring, the dashboard and the heater blower motor thing.
The goal will be to sand and degrease the undercarriage before coating the bottom with some POR15.
I only found some minor surface rust. Especially where the brake line tabs connect to the body.
there was some rust in the forward floor panels that had been repaired before. Welding job clearly Needs some additiona