• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get metal rings off that hold glass in for Gauges

MikeG

I tried a search but came up with nothing.How do you go about removing metal rings that hold glass on to the back of gauge cluster,without breaking anything?It looks as though you just try to turn them counter clockwise.Mine won't budge!! Any tricks so I don't break something

Thanks

1974 3.5 CSI {Possibly last car to come to the US}/ Jade Green/ Saddle Leather /Cover Car 1992 Roundel Magazine Numerous Awards/ Owned 35 Years

1973 TII  Matching #,s  Verona Red/Black

Take a 6mm socket on the end of a rachet, and place it over the upturned tang/tab, and then gently, but firmly turn counter clockwise....you will then see the area that gouges the plastic and forms an interference fit....when you put back together, don't over tighten, or you may break the plastic clips off.

Cheers,

02Monster

Mike,

Take a flat head screw driver and place it on one of the upturned tabs. Then peck the screwdriver lightly until the ring breaks loose. Lightly tap the ring, don't swing away, the ring will break loose.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"

Thanks you guys.I finally got them off by using a wood punch and tiny screwdriver.What a poor design that is made to break ,if you mess with them!!

Do all 2002's have this seperate plastic piece that is painted Red on Turbo's?In other words do all other 2002's have a seperate Black or Woodgrain piece or is this seperate piece just for Turbo's?Just curious,if I end up screwing it up and need to replace it

Thanks again for your help

1974 3.5 CSI {Possibly last car to come to the US}/ Jade Green/ Saddle Leather /Cover Car 1992 Roundel Magazine Numerous Awards/ Owned 35 Years

1973 TII  Matching #,s  Verona Red/Black