• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended body shop in San Jose for frame check/straightening and media blast

cdbeemin

Hi all,

I’ve stripped the ‘74 02 of all of it mountable bits and have benn taking stripping discs to anywhere there was visible rust. The car is in very good shap from the rust perspective from what I have uncovered so far. However, it is clear that the car had been in a front end collision and “repairs” had been done. Some of this was obvious when I bought it but more was discovered after digging in. In addition, I’m concerned the frame might need readjustment as measurements I did are off in spots by up to 3/8’s of an inch between the right and left sides of the car. 

So, does anyone know of a good body shop in the San Jose, CA area that knows our cars well enough to get the frame issues corrected? I’m also considering having the car media blasted and epoxy primed while I’m there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

164E66AD-6596-4CA5-A09D-91D043C72C2C.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd share my experience on the frame pull. I ended up going to Anderson Behel in Santa Clara. They are a Porsche qualified shop and got me in and out in a couple of days. I was quite pleased with my experience.

Here is a pic of the the bad subframe that came on the car when I bought it. The cracks were covered in grime, so I missed them. Hard to believe now. The other is a straight subframe I bought from the FAQ that will be sent off to get powder coated. I welded in the engine mount bracket strengthener so it is ready for prime time.

1570716310_1805232002subframes_brokenonefromcarandgoodone.thumb.jpg.05ba80e599f27ca8ab427d360675422b.jpg

The pic below shows the good subframe and how far off the dowel is from fitting in the alignment hole in the frame with the other side bolted in

944183187_180523subframedoweltoframehole_goodsubframe.thumb.jpg.c6073debceff06f65efad3baa50e9ca7.jpg

I provided this drawing from the manual to the shop as the old '74 specs were not in their datafile

1059806929_180523BMW2002Measurements.thumb.jpg.1f687a8b4b08376658b3fb3e6cc88f36.jpg

The shop manually entered the numbers and used a combination of the frame rack laser measurement and a tram gauge to ensure the frame was straight. They had to move both frames, it turned out, to get proper alignment. Now the new subframe goes on perfectly and I can move to the next task - media blasting. I found a couple of Soda blasters and a couple of "dustless" media blasters. I will go with one of the"dustless" guys as the final product seems like it will be ready for primer/bodywork/painting vs the soda process which will require rust removal and additional surface prep. Anyone have experience with the "dustless" blasting?

Here's a couple of pics on the rack

9739114_180606Rocky02onframemachine.jpg.86538ebf48a5528d20d64bdca0442eeb.jpg:

1596433357_18060602onframemachine2.jpg.a0a3c5825998ff754649c83b45e1e9fe.jpg

I may move this to a blog, but I need to continue to ask questions...