• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much difference in size between an M20 and 6cyl M3 motor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The 3-series type (sorry, I don't know the engine designation). Do you think it would fit in a 2002? I'm not familiar with them at all, so I don't know how the pans are shaped, etc.

Just curious. 8-)

Guest Anonymous

the m3 block is basically the same as an m52 or m54, i cant remember. Not only is the wiring different, but many other things as well, as it is newer. Vanos, speed sensors, etc etc. Of course it could be done, but might take some work. the M3 you are referring to is an e36, btw. -Reid

Guest Anonymous

engine swap into an E30 M3 - article was written by Terry Sayther and has quite a bit of technical detail.

The M50 looks like a snug fit in the E30, so I'd guess it'd be a REAL tight fit in an '02.

Guest Anonymous

1-2807024.gif

I have an e36 M3. That motor into an 02-- my guess cut the core support, cut the fire-wall. Rebuild the firewall four inches further back, enlarge the transmission tunnel, move the pedal box to the left a bit.

Plenty more would need to be done, I'm sure. It would haul some serious butt though. It's only time and money.

Bill

70 m20/02

97 M3

Guest Anonymous

They've cut the bottom off an E36 and are grafting it to the body of an '02, so the final result will have an E36 suspension as well as an S50.

Guest Anonymous

you'd be looking at a very custom firewall and trans tunnel, for sure, then probably uprating the rear end to take the extra heat.

And then some very big brakes, and off you go- what, 285 hp in 2100 lbs?

woo hoo!

t