• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You will never guess where the short was

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've had a few lookers on Max, he is for sale. But they all want to know why the tach/temp/fuel gauge fuse pops, and to be truthful so did I.

So while unsticking a tempermental rear brake cylinder, I decided to delve further. With the gauge cluster completely disconnected, I still poped the fuse as soon as the key hit the 'start' position. What the heck?

So we disconnected all the senders under the hood, and looked around for obvious shorts under the dash. Nothing. Start the engine and POP.

But a wire disappeared behind the intake manifold. Hmm no sensors down there I don't think. The wire went behind the starter.....someone turned on the light in the attic....

Sure enough the starter had been replaced. Whoever it was had trapped an unused end behind the starter, and as the engine would jiggle from cranking, pop!

I thought for sure from everything I read and from all the advice I'd been given it was the tach, but now everything works sweetly!

Next I'll tell you about the dead fly in the float bowl. Who knew wings could block jets?

Guest Anonymous

was for some species of electrics used near or on the carb on Euro cars. Not used on the US cars and originally taped up out of the way. It is useful, though for powering an idle jet solenoid as it's ignition switched.

Cheers

Mike