• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FYI: Luisi steering wheel hub horn contact fix

I bought a nice Luisi wheel from a FAQer and the horn did not work.

I finally got to look at it.

The brass rod/contact on a spring on the base of the adapter was just sliding out of the black plastic casing that holds it such that it was not making contact with the brass ring on the steering column..

Further analyis showed what I think happend.

It looks like the out of the box length of the brass rod was too long for the fitment on a 2002 so that when the wheel adapter was mounted to the steering column the brass rod was rammed through the plastic housing.

I was able to cut about a 1/2 inch off the brass rod so that it was the correct length, and to super glue the insert and the black casing to repair it.

It was funny when my daughter stuck her head out the door to see what all the honking was about.

We will see how it holds up.

So, if you get a new steering wheel hub adapter, check the fit on how far the brass rod contact will compress before just cranking it down.

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown