Jump to content

Stripping the interior body



Nothing like starting with the biggest most tedious job on the entire restoration. It will certainly be a huge step forward when the body is all stripped, prepped and painted, but it is certainly quite a lot of work. I figured I'd go about this large sections at a time. First the interior, then engine bay, then trunk, then underbody and finally the exterior. With each large section I'll strip it, take care of any little bit of rust that I find, prep and prime it.


Starting with the interior, I went through and stripped as much as I could using a 4" strip disc and then did other parts with a die grinder. Overall it went fairly quick with just a couple hours last weekend and this weekend. To get to the remaining areas I'll use a media blaster. I tried a few small areas with it today using aluminum oxide and that worked pretty well. I just had a small amount to test with and will need to order more and will see how much I can get done next weekend.


This is how the interior looks now. Overall metal is in great shape.




Here is a side by side of the passenger footwell that looked pretty rusty after removing the insulation, but it cleaned up very well and nothing needs to get cut out and replaced.


1 Comment

Recommended Comments

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

  • Create New...