• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

chirpy/whiny dizzy, what's up?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My distributor is making a fast chirp, almost a whine. Where can I lube it to stop this, or does this mean it's on it's last legs?

Guest Anonymous

A little grease on the shaft/lobes that contact the arm on the points.

There's also a small pad mounted down inside the top of the shaft (under the rotor), which holds a small amount of oil. I've been told that it lubes the shaft somehow, but I couldn't tell you how it works.

Anybody?

Guest Anonymous

The pad in the top of the shaft oils the interface between the top of the shaft and the bottom.

'What? that shaft's one piece!'

Actually, no. To get the mechanical advance, the top of the shaft pivots a bit on the lower shaft. If this rusts up, then you get no control over the mech. advance. So a few drops of oil every oil change will keep this lubed up. It's also wise to take the dizzy apart every 10k or so and lube all the mech. advance pivots in the base with a small amount of Lithium grease. They are not well designed, (in modern terms, anyway) and will wear if allowed to get dry.

hth,

t