• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake restore or upgrade

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Recently I inherited a BMW 2002 from my dad. The body itself is in great condition, however the car had not been used in 3 years so the running gear is a little worse for wear. I will start work on the brakes soon and am looking for advise on what to do. Would it be easier and cheaper to reco the original breaks or replace the original breaks with ones from an e21 or sumthin. + will junkyard parts suffice?

thanks in advance

Guest Anonymous

Time was,

original calipers cost a bunch, and rebuilds were scarce. Then it made sense to upgrade. However, rebuilt calipers are in the $60 a side range, front rotors are $20, and rear cylinders are $15 or so, so I'd recommend just replacing the stock parts.

The 2002 brakes IN GOOD CONDITION are very good- rusty, they're miserable. And while you're there, replace all the rubber lines- for some reason, 2002 lines just don't last more than 30 or so years!

And unless you're pretty mechanical, I wouldn't recommend rebuilding your own calipers- it takes forever...

hth,

t

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the advice.. Do simple bolt on replacement parts for a 2002 come off any of the other models or do i have to hunt down 2002 specific parts?

Guest Anonymous

Brake calipers cost a bit more than $60. The place I used to work pays $55 for a caliper and sells them for about $85 each. TEP sells them for $89 each, but whatever you do NEVER buy ANYTHING from TEP, they have the worst costumer service and in general are just assholes. I think front rotors are about $35-40 now. Personally I would upgrade.

Leif