• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 BMW 2002 m42 swap

cajaka7

I've been working on a m42 swap into a 2002. I got it mid engine swap with quite a bit left in terms of man hours, but have peeled away at all but the wiring.. I'll post what I posted in nwbmwclub so you guys can get an idea of what was done / is done / needs to be done. Enjoy!

first ill start off by saying what i got done then to pictures. I mounted up the transmission with the custom transmission mount, I made mounts for the driveline (it's off so you have to use angle iron and extend it), I installed the new speedometers (not hooked up quite yet). Ran the new throttle cable and installed the gas pedal, made custom mounts for the radiator and bolted it in all snug, ran the battery cables to the rear and fabricated a box for the battery and bolted/ bungied it down.

yet left to do...

I got into the shifter and made my own design for the carrier, just need to find my old m3 selector rod

need to figure out the wiring situation. no idea where to start the classicdaily pdf wasnt much help

the brake line was spliced for some reason, i need to replace that (got the line to do so

fully hook up the speedo and install the tachometer adapter system.

double check to see if the fuel lines are good to go.

bolt up the drive shaft after installing the shifter assembly

hook up the radiator

brake fluid, transmission fluid, oil, and coolant

test start after all is checked up and good to go! Almost there another good day and ill have it done, better watch the streets a o2 is coming :ohnoes

on to pictures, not really in order but whatever

custom tranny mounts

IMG_2458.jpg

moar pics

IMG_2459.jpg

custom battery box

IMG_2463.jpg

and da battery

IMG_2465.jpg

the patient

IMG_2466.jpg

after the surgery

IMG_2468.jpg

custom fabbed mount installed

IMG_2471.jpg

another pic of mount

IMG_2472.jpg

making another mount

IMG_2475.jpg

all done

IMG_2479.jpg

some pictures after i was done

IMG_2480.jpg

lower radiator mount installed

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

cab

IMG_2486.jpg

tranny mount inside of cabin

IMG_2487.jpg

battery cable hose

IMG_2488.jpg

battery mount

IMG_2489.jpg

the car

IMG_2490.jpg

had to take off the grill to install the lower radiator mount

IMG_2491.jpg

and what fueled if all. thank you

IMG_2492.jpg

Another days work...

didnt get too much done today. completely fabricated my shifter assembly, fitted my radiator hoses, and a friend helped strengthen my drive shaft assembly, found some bolts for the driveshaft and started stripping out the old o2 wiring.. too tired to do anything tonight, maybe start running new wire tomorrow and maybe fill the engine with oll and give er a test start

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

1976 BMW 2002 | 1972 BMW Bavaria

newestsig.jpg

I am a novice when it comes to wiring, a buddy said I'd be better off running fresh wiring so I took the liberty of cutting out the rats nest that was in there. I will be working on it this weekend, and intend of doing a test start! Just need to figure out if my wiring buddy can help me!

Anyone do this swap and not use the old o2 wiring? If so please reply/ pm/ email me! I'm a bit lost :/

newestsig.jpg

Any info on the motor mounts you are using would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm using the classic daily custom fabbed mounts, jake on this forum, do a thread search if nothing comes up ill be glad to refer you! He does great work same with the exhaust manifold

I believe his website it www.classicdaily.net

newestsig.jpg

I'll be starting my swap soon and in the process of gathering info. I've been to Jakes site and positive I'll be going with his mounts.

Thanks for the info and good luck with the swap. I'll be following your thread closely.

Quick edit:

What coil-on-plug are you using?

Thanks in advance!

I'll be starting my swap soon and in the process of gathering info. I've been to Jakes site and positive I'll be going with his mounts.

Thanks for the info and good luck with the swap. I'll be following your thread closely.

Quick edit:

What coil-on-plug are you using?

Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong but I think they're bav auto coil packs if I'm understanding your question correctly, Bosch spark plugs if you're reffering to that.

The wiring information was vague in the classic daily PDF and color wire diagrams are hard to come by so I decided to make my own chassis side wiring harness and use a race switch panel as this specific o2 will be my street legal race car :D

Here's a mockup of the diagram. I wasn't able to find the amp draws for each fuse ill be doing some more research with that. My friend taught me a bunch and helped me with the mockup let me know if you have any questions. Like I said I haven't really completed this its just a rough draft. I'll head out this weekend and work on it and will update with pictures. I'm using a bunch of race switches and rocker switches so it will be like I'm in an airplane!

969065faa6e505333d73fce55753ca8b.jpg

newestsig.jpg

From what I can see in the pics it looks like your M42 has individual coils for each sparkplug instead of the stock 4 plug coil block.

I don't think you needed to completely rip out your 02 harness, you should only need to splice in a couple of wires into the M42 engine harness.

I have a complete M42 C101 harness if you need pics showing wiring and connector positions.

From what I can see in the pics it looks like your M42 has individual coils for each sparkplug instead of the stock 4 plug coil block.

I don't think you needed to completely rip out your 02 harness, you should only need to splice in a couple of wires into the M42 engine harness.

I have a complete M42 C101 harness if you need pics showing wiring and connector positions.

I'm pretty sure it's a bav auto coil pack. And I wanted new wiring. More reliable and it's one of the most common things to go wrong in a swap. Much easier to just fabricate my own, but just me two cents

newestsig.jpg

Got the fuel pump working yesterday and for that matter all the electronics (though haven't tested them quite yet) I turned on the fuel pump to make sure it was working and it worked but I had to turn it off immediately because It was bucketing fuel out of the firewall... Apparently someone didn't connect the fuel line, but took the time to connect the maf? I should have checked it so ill point the finger at myself, but all finger pointing aside I did it! (Again with huge thanks to Alex Martonick (Iceman) for helping me out on a cold windy Friday night! We got a ton done! After connecting the fuel line, finding a a brake line pipe bender and putting in wiring should be ready for a test start!

It's come a long way from what it was, hopefully I can get this thing running by the weekend (possible but hard) I have a master clutch cylinder on the way and a slave sitting in my bav. I bought some fuel line and will probably end up buying all new line and re route it. All I have to do to get a test start going is plug in the c101 harness and gve her a shot! I'm super excited, after that...

Fill with coolant

Top off oil

Check/ flush and replace tranny fluid

Check diff fluid

Put on hood and trim

Hide all wiring and mount switch panel

Wire up blower, runner lights, headlights, brake lights, high beams and turn signals

Install interior

Install passenger side seat

Take her home with me! :wink

newestsig.jpg

Awesome job!

I need to get my butt in gear and get mine started.

What are doing for a radiator fan?

ill just run some electric fan spal or something. Yeah man let me know when you start you can call me if you have any questions. Pm for my number.

On another note I got it started! And running. Everything is coming together nicely though the radiator is leaking from a big hole.

Here's a video

newestsig.jpg

Sweet!
I was going to get it out for a test drive but no radiator and brake lines from oriellys were no good. Starts and idles, cleaned it up a bit and ran the high beams and low beams and fixed my driveline up with some fancy new m10 x 50 metric bolts instead of standard.... World of difference! Heading out tomorrow and hopin to finish up the wiring and deep clean the engine bay... I want to be able to eat pizza off it. Bolt up the switch panel, put in the carpet, get a new passenger seat and be will be good to go!

1785F2C2-B923-47D5-83C6-A5558E463400-534-0000006ECC3329E0.jpg

F23B4B58-0FDF-4821-9616-749F4845AEEF-534-0000006ED124F613.jpg

newestsig.jpg