• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for a shot of a 74 tii without timing cut

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

2763581; built 3/73; 85 mm wide; 14 mm deep; centered 20 mm right of center of hood latch hole; fairly smooth with original paint.

Macartney (Restoration Guide) says the plastic intake runners changed to aluminum at the same time the head changed from 121 to E12 in September 1972. He says the US tii VIN range for 1/72 thru 12/72 is 2760423 thru 2763219. (A blind numeric interpolation would put the Aug/Sept break at 2762287.)

The Parts Catalog suggests that plastic runners were retired somewhere in the range 2761944-2762014, and that aluminum runners were phased in in the same range or at 2762372; the terminology is hard to follow.

Summary: The factory cutout probably started at or soon after the switch to the aluminum intake system, which happened approximately 9/72 with VIN 2762300. I'd especially appreciate reports on cars from that time.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

bad pic, side view: will take over head shot today if this is the correct " cut" in question...standard.jpg... ? I am not up to speed on the nomenclature here: what is the "cut"? for the poll: VIN= 2761423, hole/cut looks factory/ yes, the snorkel is present because the original owner of this 72 must have had a problem before 1988. Please enlighten me as to what the "cut"is so that i can photograph the hell out of my car to help the poll/survey/tman inquiry.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

the cowl in front of the standard hood hole? I see the "notch" as i call it in the ebay pic: i obviously do not have the notch/"cut" on either of my cars- if i have identified the correct area.

Guest Anonymous

and none without. I also have a pic out of the book "null zwei" showing an original looking turbo circa mid 70's, with the cut. Max's low miles (>100K) otherwise orignal 74 also has the cut and it looks the same as the ones in all of the pics. IMO, gotta be orignal, but I'll bet it was done on the assembly line by hand, which would account for minor variations.

Matt

Maximillian Importing

Guest Anonymous

that they know something is or is not original the consensous shows that it has to be original. Now if we could just figure out the date of first vehicle.

Perhaps those working on the registry (is there a registry?) could add that as a column? I can see it now. . .

Forsale early 73 tii "last of the uncut" own this piece of history!

Guest Anonymous

the very first '73 tii off the line (2762630) resides in Dayton--it's being restored and I'll check it next time I'm at the body shop. I don't think it has the cutout 'cause I would have noticed it but I don't trust my memory as it's been several months since I've seen the car...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

> 1) Plastic or aluminum intake runners?

Aluminum

> 2) Is there a cutout?

Yes

> 3) In your opinion, was it done at the factory?

Can not tell at the moment car is @ aunts garage. I have a pict but can't tell for sure.

> 4) VIN number

> 5) Production date (on left door edge sticker)

>

> If you are really ambitious, I'd be interested to

> know for factory cuts:

> 6) The width, depth, and left/right offset from

> center of the cut,

> preferably in millimeters.

see # 3

Guest Anonymous

eng144.jpg

but I have a snorkel and no air cleaner brackets so... must not be all original.

BTW, the picture is not my car but the cutout looks kinda home made.

--Jerry