• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any ideas about what bmw temp sensor, could be used

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

to weld on to the radiator, to activated the electric fan. I want a cool factory look, have the aftermarket thing and it just looks ghetto, still in the bag. My car is back home nice and re-painted.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

just received a note from a board buddy who installed a different 320 temp switch that is keeping his car right where he wants it. turning on fan at just the right time. Nice to have choices. and cheap. around 20 bucks and you can just tap for conventional threads. I can get some part numbers for you if you are interested. A good buddy of mine just started working in the parts dept of my favorite marin cty BMW dealer parts dept. So he has quick access to all the info on the computer and in the heads of the old timers.

Guest Anonymous

copper/brass radiator for the sender - 320 radiators have a brass "bung" soldered into the lower tank that can be unsoldered, a hole cut in your existing tank and the bung soldered into it (just be real careful to make the hole EXACTLY the size of the bung). The bung can be cut out of any junk copper/brass BMW radiator.....

In the course of modifing the Volvo radiator for my project car, two of the bungs were soldered into the high temp end so both the high and low temp senders could be installed (it's set up for a two speed radiator fan).

Guest Anonymous

It already has 3 holes for sensors. I had one hole enlarged for the 320i temp switch & I had another hole created for the warm up regulator hose. -J

Guest Anonymous

if you have a later manifold with a spot underneath for a sensor

that used to be a part of the emissions system. The hole is in the

underside of the manifold to the left, and is the same size and

threads as the 320i temp sensors. Also, this way the sensor is

taking its reading off of the coolant flowing through the intake

manifold, which should be more representative of the temperature

of the engine than the coolant in the radiator. I've got it set up

this way in my brother's '76 and it works great.

- Dave

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

i was told by a great wrench/racer that I want myaux fan temp switch to be at the bottom of the rad( like the 320 oem position) because that is the coolest area of the system under normal conditions. If you put your aux fan thermo switch on top of the motor, it is going to be at top of the heat range ,at all times, and the fan will always be on- if you use an incorrect temp activation switch.I only want the fan to turn on when I leave normal operating temps and climb to abnormally high temps. If located and calibrated properly, that will trigger the switch at the bottom of the rad. and make the aux fan useful when it needs to be on. His reasoning sounds solid, the OEM placement of the switch location in the 320 radiator tells me BMW engineers thought it was correct, and my empirical experience is that my fan comes on at just the right time ,and for the right amount of time ,using that location. I know some high preformance 02s with aux fan thermo switches in top of engine hot locations and the damn fans never turn off- they continue to go for 15 minutes or more after shut down! Very annoying, lol and not necessary. (Problem is that they put a low temp switch( wrong choice) in an area that experiences normal operating temps that exceed the switch temp . Thus, they need to buy a higher temp activation switch to remain in that location. I like the 318 3 hole because it will allow me to run good analogue water temp vdo gauge and keep the oem gauge.I like it for monitoring, also, i use oil temp to know what the engine is experiencing. I can just plug the hole(s) i dont use. Then again, an 02 expert i really respect runs the exact 318 3 hole on his track tii because he likes to run his fan from the top. He may be using a very high temp switch, though to compensate. I have never heard his car's aux fan continue to run on and on after he has shut down, taken helmet off , and left the area. Cars that have aux fans run for 10 or more minutes after shut down probably need to address temp issues in other, basic , ways to keep temps out of near red zone. It takes lots of amps to operate some fans and that is a drain on battery that is not necessary, IMHO.