• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Esty Carpet Kit Install

M3M3

I am putting in an Esty carpet kit, so i figured i would take some pics along the way. any suggestions to make this process better are appreciated!

When you get the box with the kit in the mail, open it up and check out all the cool pieces.

Do not lose or misplace one and think Esty forgot to put it in the box. She didn't, you lost it.

:-)

I used Esty's posted instructions as a guide.

Things you need:

-the carpet

-3m super 90 spray adhesive

-set of misc clamps from Lowes

-razor knife

-good pair of scissors

-marker

assuming you already removed entire interior, put down Rammat and put down a layer of Ensolite..

DSCN3813.jpg

Start with the back piece that goes under the rear seat. you will have to trim the center tunnel

opening to make it 1/4 in larger. once you get that to fit, trim the outside edges as they will

need to conform to rocker shape. the top of the piece will be too tall. fold it over the top of the metal wall,

mark where the back part of the wall is, and trim off the extra. will be around an inch.

DSCN3818.jpg

now get out the super 90. spray back of carpet and reat seat support (including the top). wait two minutes.

CAREFULLY place the carpet in place, starting with the center. work out to the sides. this adhesive is

unforgiving. once you touch it together, it is stuck. once the front is stuck, clamp the top vertical part, then

fold over the top and clamp it down. in about 10min you can pull the clamps off.

DSCN3819.jpg

next comes the rear side rocker pieces. this did not need much trimming. i just aligned the top unfinished edge

with the door edge. needed to cut about one inch slit at front and rear of the seat support to allow carpet to

fold down. kit i have put carpet all the way accross the seat mount with the vinyl hanging on the inside. now is a

good time to cut the hole for the seat slider lever....and poke holes for the seatbelt bolts!

the gluing part of this...i only put glue on the top and first inch or two down the sides. this makes the side

panel sort of a flap that allows access to wiring and gas line without ripping up the carpet.

DSCN3818.jpg

DSCN3817.jpg

next is the front rocker pieces. on these the only trim i did was cut a "V" for stress relief in the top front

part about 6in back. if you test fit you will see why. the back of this piece should overlap the rear piece by

about 1/2in. i glued this the same way as the rear rocker piece, just the top and about an inch or so down the

sides.

DSCN3821.jpg

DSCN3822.jpg

next comes the kick panels. these in clipped the top back 1/4in of the nice edging off to make it fit easier under

the pinch welt. install is pretty easy. jam it as far up as it will go and align the back edge with the door

opening edge. on the drivers side don't forget to mark and poke holes for the hood release lever. the upper bolt

for this actually needed a little "V" cut in the edging. it helped to clamp the back edge until the glue set.

DSCN3823.jpg

DSCN3824.jpg

DSCN3825.jpg

that is as far as i have got so far. more tomorrow when i put the center tunnel piece down....

2xM3

hey mister....you make it look easy

and thanks for the tutorial....now i have something i can refer others to since i've failed miserably at keeping my install blog current with changes i make

i seldom get to see any of my sets installed so that i actually get a good look...i like it

i'm curious...is that fat mat or a similar product underneath...i recently had an issue with a set of mats not fitting properly and i suspected it may be because of fat mat under carpet padding...

under the carpet is a layer of RAAMAT (kinda like FATMAT) and a layer of Ensolite sound absorber (the black stuff you see). together they are maybe 1/4in thick. i am not using any extra padding. i deliberately ended the underlayment about an inch from any edge so that the carpet edge would be against metal, particulary where the pinch welt would be. i may try some extra padding under the back of the center tunnel piece as you suggested in your instructions esty.

2xM3

Thanks for nice tutorial! That Raamat works good, i did our mini van with it and it helped quiet things down nicely. IF you have any left put in the back seat area as well.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

have lots left...;-)

back seat (delete) will be upcoming project....

if your slick...you can hinge the bottom of your rear seat delete setup and use underneath for storage...i came out about 6" from the back cut the plywood and used a piano hinge to raise and lower the front half...(of course i had hubby running the power saw for me)

Hey Esty can you post a picture of your rear seat delete. Thanks

the car with the rear seat delete is in storage for the winter and i can't take any new pics right now but in the past i've posted several with different carpeting i was trying on for size...i don't recall if i did the hinged bottom thing before or after i posted those pic here...sorry

raamat and ensolite at

http://raamaudio.com

i used raamat bxt II on veritcal surfaces, regular bxt on floors and the peal and stick ensolite everywhere.

rick is great to deal with.

Can you tell us how much of the bxt II, bxt and ensolite you purchased to fit an 02. Looks like good stuff!

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)