• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom made A/C compressor brackets SOLD OUT

Sorry if you missed out, thanks for the great response from everyone that helped with project. Thanks for the loaner Clardy compressor bracket and the engine block for mock up of the bracket. I might do another run if i get enough intrest i will post up if i start getting more interest. Email me direct @ dave.hobiedave @ gmail.com. I want to keep the price as low as possiable.

P4050622.jpg

P4050618.jpg

P3090535.jpg

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

Anyone who thinks they may want to do this in the future ought to get one of these brackets.

Dave, I saw in a previous post you went with an 11x18 condenser. Did you get it installed and is this without modification to the nose panel? I've been looking at it and 11 1/2 x 18 is the max you could do without mods, but the condenser I'm seeing on http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ is larger than that at 10 x 20 overall. (the 10 x 18 one). Just wondered how this worked out for you or if you cut the horn brackets? I've found a place that can redo the original condenser, but I'd really like to go with new I think.

I cut the left horn bracket and slid condenser in through the radiator opening and behind the cut bracket. But i can still hang my horn on the bracket because i only cut half of it away. I just used a die grinder and a little touchup paint. I then went to home depot and bought some aluminum stock and made some custom support brackets for the condenser. The condenser now sits about 1/4 inch in front of the radiator I will try and get some pics up soon.

Dave

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...
35 minutes ago, David Friedman said:

What kind of compressor did it have?

Just as an FYI, the original compressors were all reciprocating compressors.  Behr and Clardy both used York compressors; I don't know what brand Frigiking used, but if it wasn't a York brand, it was the equivalent of a York.  The first photo shows a York compressor from my '76's Clardy A/C.  The second photo shows compressor mounting brackets -- Clardy and Behr -- for these original compressors.

In '78 or '79, Clardy altered the landscape by introducing a rotary compressor for '02s -- it was a Sankyo brand but looked virtually identical to a modern Sanden -- and that has become the norm for replacements.  The third photo shows a modern Sanden rotary compressor.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Just as an FYI, the original compressors were all reciprocating compressors.  Behr and Clardy both used York compressors; I don't know what brand Frigiking used, but if it wasn't a York brand, it was the equivalent of a York.  The first photo shows a York compressor from my '76's Clardy A/C.  The second photo shows compressor mounting brackets -- Clardy and Behr -- for these original compressors.

In '78 or '79, Clardy altered the landscape by introducing a rotary compressor for '02s -- it was a Sankyo brand but looked virtually identical to a modern Sanden -- and that has become the norm for replacements.  The third photo shows a modern Sanden rotary compressor.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have a Sanden 7b10

image.jpeg

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, BeMyWay said:

Does anyone have any information on the availability of a Clardy Rotary bracket?

Its getting hot and my York Brick died! 

Help!

Thanks. :D

Have you PM'd 02hobiedave to see if any of his brackets are presently available or if another batch is forthcoming?

Actual Clardy rotary compressor brackets, available from 1978 to ca. 1990, are relatively rare.  Hobiedave designed an eminently-useful replacement for the Clardy rotary compressor bracket, which many of us -- I believe a few hundred -- use now.

If you have not already done so, you could post a Want-To-Buy listing in the classifieds section seeking a Hobiedave bracket or a Clardy bracket: either would solve your problem.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 hours ago, Conserv said:

Have you PM'd 02hobiedave to see if any of his brackets are presently available or if another batch is forthcoming?

Actual Clardy rotary compressor brackets, available from 1978 to ca. 1990, are relatively rare.  Hobiedave designed an eminently-useful replacement for the Clardy rotary compressor bracket, which many of us -- I believe a few hundred -- use now.

If you have not already done so, you could post a Want-To-Buy listing in the classifieds section seeking a Hobiedave bracket or a Clardy bracket: either would solve your problem.

Regards,

Steve

I just heard from Dave and he has three remaining, two after I order mine.

I was going to use York to Sanden Compressor Conversion Plate but Dave's bracket is a cleaner installation and better design.

Thanks for the nudge to "get along little doggie".

Light is seriously underrated.