• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to baffle a s14 with a m10 oil pan?

Does anyone know the best way to baffle a m10 pan that's being used on a s14 block? I intend to autocross the thing when its all put together, don't want any starvation issues. Attached is a pic of my oil pan solution, an idea I borrowed from another member on here.

I'm using the stock s14 oil pump, hence the protrusion.

cheers!

post-1085-13667588539841_thumb.jpg

--

1974 BMW 2002 M2 (for sale, some assembly required)

1982 VW Diesel Rabbit Truck (Caddy)

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

i just used the m3 baffel .i welded some tabs on the inside of the pan and used 3/16 ss rivets

I hope youre planning on adding a bigger baffle in there than just the stock one. I know several local guys whove spun bearings using the 'stock baffle plus overfill' method.

1990 325i

1976 2002

Ray that's the lower portion of a s14 oilpan.. that pan or baffle are not applicable to 2002.

I'm using Bruce's method... I fabbed up some mounting points and was planning on braising them into the sides of the m10 pan to bolt the s14 windage tray into the m10 pan, but having that bolted to the inside of the pan (opposed to sandwiched between the block and pan) makes me a bit nervous.

--

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

Sorry, I should read more closely. Tho the referenced thread may be of interest.

Maybe u can use ss rivets and perhaps tack weld them if worried about things coming loose.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray that's the lower portion of a s14 oilpan.. that pan or baffle are not applicable to 2002.

I'm using Bruce's method... I fabbed up some mounting points and was planning on braising them into the sides of the m10 pan to bolt the s14 windage tray into the m10 pan, but having that bolted to the inside of the pan (opposed to sandwiched between the block and pan) makes me a bit nervous.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I had my guy fabricate something similar to the Ireland Engineering M10 baffle - pictured below and only 35 bucks

02panbaffel.JPG

don't know if using the s14 oil pick up will effect things, but I'm sure Jeff or Jeremy at Ireland would.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Neat. After seeing that I'm thinking I might be ok with mounting the s14 baffle in there, considering the mini-sump for the s14 pump pickup, it's basically a little cup to help with side to side sloshing.

--

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

IMHO, the item shown is a windage tray, not a baffle as such. The S14 has this (listed as No. 6 in the attached pic) and a separate baffle (no. 20) and the consensus is that this is not adequate to prevent oil surge, at least for track driven cars. Many E30 M3 owners fit additional baffling. I'd be considering the Ireland style baffle in Nick's post. I have a Ireland baffle already for my S14 conversion, soon!

The mini-sump would certainly provide some baffling effect, but is it large enough?

post-636-13667588653188_thumb.png

David

4bdcfba4.jpg

IMHO, the item shown is a windage tray, not a baffle as such. The S14 has this (listed as No. 6 in the attached pic) and a separate baffle (no. 20) and the consensus is that this is not adequate to prevent oil surge, at least for track driven cars. Many E30 M3 owners fit additional baffling. I'd be considering the Ireland style baffle in Nick's post. I have a Ireland baffle already for my S14 conversion, soon!

The mini-sump would certainly provide some baffling effect, but is it large enough?

I'd say guess that its not enough. And yes the pics shown are of the windage tray which is not a baffle.

The stock s14 baffle is much taller than the box extension and it is still reportedly not high enough. I like the idea of a baffle that keeps oil from going up into the front timing case under braking (which usually occurs right before a corner.) i agree that Ireland's baffle is the best option shown in this thread.

• 1 month later...

bringing this thread back from the dead...

so I did up my oil pan, added the rails in to mount the s14 baffle, and built a little sump to accomodate the s14 pump. I brazed the whole thing together. I'm thinking brass might not be the way to go, I think I'm going to it over but TIG it this time (just finished a semester of class at the local community college).

Does anyone know if I can use an e21 pan in m 2002, or do I have to use one from a 2002? I'm having a hard time finding a clean one from an '02, but e21 pans are more available.

--

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

I understand that the e21 oil pan is deeper, but I recall someone saying the oil pan fits. The S14 and 318i (US 320i) uses the oil pump.

I am certain someone will know for sure.

David

4bdcfba4.jpg

• 1 year later...

Topical, though not specifically for the S14 pickup...

I had some M10 oil pans made, same as I'm running in my race car. They're baffled, with trap doors and extra capacity (I'll be measuring the additional net amount this evening). Race proven, for sale very soon.

You could also run Ireland's windage tray over the top.

• 4 months later...