• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

installing my hood

BLUNT

i didnt see an FAQ on this and this is one job im very nervous about. right now my hood is on the guest bed without the bar mechanism attached. i have mr dubuois's write up on adjusting the hood once its on but does anyone have a how to on installing the bar support thingy? i just want to cover all my bases to avoid dings or scratches if possible. any advice or tips youve pick up along the way would be appreciated.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

In browsing the BMW repair CD the other day I saw a section on "adjusting the front lid" (or something like that). There may be an outline of the important steps to take in there.

The procedure I found on the CD that helped me was for adjusting the door windows - it gave a sequence of adjustments to follow that worked pretty well for me. The part about how to tell when it's "just right" was missing so I still had to iterate a couple times, but the sequence was good.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

is there 2 styles of torsion bars? i just compared my M2's bar (70) to my 69's and they arent even close. theres no little stop on my 70's arms. its been 4 years since i removed it and i dont think i took pics of it anyway. and besides that it seems like its 1/4 inch too long for my new hood. widthwise

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I am in the same boat.

After watching the Bodyshop scratch the top of my fenders when reinstalling mine, I told them to leave the torsion bar off.

I plan on following Michael's write-up as well as using the information from the following link.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,300379/highlight,/

Oh...and I also plan on taping some steel sheets that I have laying around to the fender to protect it as I try and get it adjusted correctly.

Guest Anonymous

a small section of the thin laminate flooring also works well to protect the paint from the torsion arm scratches.

I am in the same boat.

After watching the Bodyshop scratch the top of my fenders when reinstalling mine, I told them to leave the torsion bar off.

I plan on following Michael's write-up as well as using the information from the following link.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,300379/highlight,/

Oh...and I also plan on taping some steel sheets that I have laying around to the fender to protect it as I try and get it adjusted correctly.

They did that because they closed the hood with the torsion arms loose on the fender apron tabs - I learned that myself by doing it during the write up! Make sure you read all the warnings, precautions etc. Anytime you close or open the hood watch the nose, fender edges etc. Go to the garage, tell everyone you will not be available for 2 hours, take your time and you will be fine.

FAQ Member # 91

yeah, it's actually easier to install it than it is to lift the bloody thing off-

it's HEAVY!

And you can remove the torsion bar assembly and install it after the hood

if you're feeling paranoid.

None of my cars are that pretty....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

I use an overhead rope attached to the garage structure. I then use a bunge cord stretched from the rope to support the hood. It takes off the load and allows you to position the hood by stretching the bunge cord with a few pounds of push or pull.

Have fun

• 3 years later...

Hi Blunt, I hope this email finds you well. I was reading your comment in regards the hood installation. Can I ask a few tips and steps on how to install it? I tried several months ago and gave up, but I really want to be able to out it back in place.

Regards,

Juan

2002A 1976 Polaris

2002A 1972 Sahara

530i 1975