• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 1600 fireball lawsuit????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

car2.gif

URL: http://www.alexanderlaw.com/cases.html

I found this on the web, and I had never heard of this. Was there ever a recall on this? Reminiscent of the pinto.

Just incase 1600 owners didnt know.

Eric

$1,680,000 recovery for Dr. Paul Chin who was rear-ended in his 1969 BMW 1600 by a convicted felon who was intoxicated and traveling at 90 miles per hour. The BMW exploded into a fireball and caused third degree burns to 65% of Dr. Chin's body. Following the collision, the BMW wreckage mysteriously disappeared near the time BMW's investigators photographed the scene and the bullet vehicle. An identical vehicle was lost in a nearly identical case arising in New York which was defensed by BMW . Crash testing of two full size BMW's proved the fuel system failed at low speeds in rear end collisions. This settlement was the first known occasion of a settlement by BMW in a case alleging a design defect.

Guest Anonymous

It's a testament to the 02's strength that the guy even lived. That said, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to look at the 02 fuel tank and see a baaaad design. Probably the biggest change in the 320s was the gas tank.

As for the Pinto, it was vunerable to impacts over 30 mph. When testers looked at comparable cars, many others had the same problem under 35mph. Physics - it's not just a good idea - it's the law.

Interesting side story about the cars disappearing tho...

Guest Anonymous

I would think that a well placed nomex blanket would reduce a fire ball potental.

Maybe racing foam as well might a good idea.

Guest Anonymous

Despite many other safety flaws, traditional American cars have long prohibited using the gas tank as a member of the trunk floor panel. American tanks are generally suspended under the body of the car, well away from the bumper. Older European cars generally had unsafe gas tanks (ever see a pre-'68 Beetle or Porsche setup?), and the BMW was no exception. Some Federal regs went into effect in 1968, but the 1600/2002 met the requirements at the time.

When I get the money, I'll be installing a fully baffled and bladdered fuel cell--just for street use.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Amazing. Granted the design isn't great, but this was in a car far beyond its original designed life. So:

a) you're driving a 15 year old car that pre-dates most safety measures by a long time

B) your car is probably rusty

c) you get rear-ended by a drunk going 90 mph

and

d) you sue the vehicle manufacturer.

Lawyers suck.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

'86 535i

Guest Anonymous

Pay attention when you drive, I bet if he was on a motorcycle he'd be dead, is that the motorcycles manufactures fault?

Guest Anonymous

where a family was stopped at a light in there 70's Malibu when a guy doing 60 slammed into them. Pictures of before the accident showed the car had no rear bumper. This accident happened just a few years ago.

I believe 3 people died in the car. The family members that did survive sued GM for a ton of money, can't remember how much, but think it was around $150 million.

Oh well, it's not going to stop me from rebuilding my 02.