• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photos From The N49Msd

Beck180

I had the pleasure of designing the route again for the annual Bay Area 02 group's "Not the 49 Mile Scenic Drive."

The name comes from a contrarian's opinion of San Francisco's 49 Mile Scenic Drive, a route which zig-zags across the city connecting all the famous touristy crap.

As a native San Franciscan, I am in love with the ridiculousness that is the hilly streets and spiraling roads of the city.

This year I was able to find what might be the only dirt road in San Francisco. Edgehill road is on top of one of the many hills of San Francisco. A small one-lane street circles the peak, one side of which is a dirt road, although some people thought it may have just been a paved road that hadn't been maintained in 50 years.

NT49MSD_01.JPGNT49MSD_02.JPG

NT49MSD_03.JPG

NT49MSD_04.JPG

Also important to me is finding the many roads which give amazing view of the city that not many know about or typically get to experience. I drove ahead and tried to make some nice pictures of people in their '02s with the nice backdrop.

NT49MSD_05.JPGNT49MSD_06.JPG

This year I incorporated the Presidio which such an amazing place. So many hidden gems this this neighborhood of Infantry Terrace. The houses are all rentals because it is federal land, but the buildings are terrifically preserved and act as such a time warp when you drive through.NT49MSD_07.JPGNT49MSD_08.JPGNT49MSD_09.JPG

But of course it can't be a 2002 drive without a few hiccups. One 2002 wouldn't start and another lost its break caliber bolts on one wheel. Thankfully both were able to head home after the drive.

NT49MSD_10.JPG

We ended the drive on Treasure Island again this year. TI works perfectly as it is technically part of the city of SF (rally rules are we cannot leave the city) and island provides space for parking 20-30 cars at a local pizza place.

NT49MSD_11.JPG

Looks like a great route...For those of us non-Bay Area folks who might be visiting SF one of these days, how about posting the route so we can drive it someday?

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Looks like a good time was had by all. On the E9 forum a SF coupe owner posted about seeing 20 or so '02s driving around and wondered what was going on, he should have joined you. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Haha awesome. I may have seen the same E9 driving in the Marina. I think I see a 2002 once or twice a week here, but only see an E9 about once every six months.

That's the guy who posted this http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15400

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I missed the drive as I had something all day in San Mateo.  On the drive home South from San Mateo on 101 I saw a nice black Roundie.  I'm sure it was someone from the drive.  Next year for sure.

There was a nice black roundie on airbags at the event.  It was a pretty cool car.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

That's an awesome route! lovely views gotta love the bay area I really enjoyed my time there.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Had a great time as well, and spotted the E9 turning right from Bay onto Laguna. Gave him a big wave! I'll try to post my snaps tomorrow evening.

Edited by magnus

1989 BMW M3

1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R

2017 Ford Focus RS