• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

lastfm

I have a lead on a 1970 2002ti.  Odomater shows 73000, Car is rough but original.  Original color is dark green with brown interior, haven't seen many cars with this combo but I like it.  Has clock to the right of dash cluster. Never saw that.  Also has 2002ti badge on front grill.  Original motor, original carbs, air cleaners that look like they came out of a Bugeye Sprite but he says there original.

Rust in rockers, rust thru under spare tire. Rust on front fenders, top to bottom. Rust on back fenders at the bottom.  Trunk lid is very rusty at the back of the car.  Back shock towers look great. Original wheels and caps. Original driver seat aren't even torn  just unsown in 2 spots.              post-43104-0-25956200-1385508559_thumb.j            post-43104-0-51703600-1385508596_thumb.j                                        Passenger seat is intact, looks great. Door panels are great, clean, no marks.  Back seat has no rips, nothing unsown just dirty.post-43104-0-99324000-1385508010_thumb.j            post-43104-0-15331300-1385508079_thumb.jpost-43104-0-80455300-1385508210_thumb.j

Any way the guy wants 1000  bucks for it but it's going to cost me 1100 hundred to get it home.

I don't have the money to restore but I bet I could get it running.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Thanks for you input.

Buy it. Buy a rust free shell. Transfer everything over.

:-)

Also post the VIN and change your subject line such that the ti experts on the board will offer their insight.

Cheers,

Edited by ray_koke

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

No sure if I understand the cost factor here but if you are putting out 1100 "plus"  another grand, to get the car home then I would pass. Based on the pics I do not see much upside.

On the other hand if its only 1100 total..... then I might be inclined to get the price down further based on the amount of rust and take a flyer on parting the car IF the salvageable parts are in decent condition. Otherwise IMO, you are throwing good money after bad. 

Good luck with it in any regards.....

Definately post the VIN.  *IF* it is a real Ti then you have some choices to make.  If it's not "real", despite the carbs and air cleaner, then run, run, run away.

The experts on the board will tell you what to look for in addition to the Ti badge.

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

How the hell are you getting it home for 1100 bucks? Airplane?!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Do not buy this car unless you have passion, time and money for a relatively rare 02 that will not be worth the time and money necessary to bring it back to running condition and repair the rust.  If you transfer the parts to another shell, it's no longer a ti, period.  It's a tribute car at that point.  additionally, judging from the rusty brake booster, chances are that the suspension bits are equally rusty and needing time in a grit blast cabinet.  you make no mention of your skill level, bank account, familiarity with the 02's and patience. 

Having made these comments, there was a time not too long ago that i would have jumped all over that car if the opportunity presented itself.  in fact, i was offered a simlarly rusty ti about 5-6 years ago for $800, but it was in Calgary Canada ( i'm in SF Bay Area) and winter was coming and it was not registered and the logistics just didn't work for me.  I hate to see one rust away, but scan the project blogs on this website for clues in what it takes to fix rust.  btw, i have collected about 95% of the ti-specific parts to make a tribute car, including an authentic, perfect 3-piece dash.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

In hindsight, I could be persuaded to agree with Jerry. :-)

Then again, after removing the rust on the body and chassis all that may be left unscathed/unreplaced could be the VIN plate!

GL,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Given that 'really good' ti's don't trade for much more than tiis, pass unless you love it.

Because it will probably cost about 2 'good' tii's to get it to 'really good'.

But if you really love it, go for it-

logic's secondary to these cars.

Unlike Alfa's, where logic has nothing whatsoever to do with it!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

This is the Holy Grail to the ti guys, very very rare to find a real ti in USA, never imported so the few that came over are worth more than a similar tii. Ti engines were of higher compression, HP than regular o2s, curious if the motor turns? A comp test would be a good idea. At any given moment there are hundreds of o2s available in America, would bet this is the only original ti available in the states right now. Someone on this board would want this car if you pass, keep us posted

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Too far gone for $1100 unless you had to have a pricey legit Ti project. If you want a car to enjoy you can find a regular 2002 to enjoy with some tasteful mods. This thing you would be looking to dump in A LOT of money to get in concours condition, and after you drop that coin it will be too nice to drive and enjoy.

As for making a Ti clone, it's not worth it. Like others posted, clones are never profitable and not very desirable if you plan on getting money out of it one day.

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

As for making a Ti clone, it's not worth it. Like others posted, clones are never profitable and not very desirable if you plan on getting money out of it one day.

Depends on what you want out of the car when it's finished... 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"