• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Frame (Non-Rusty, Whole Or In Pieces)

KFunk

Hi,

Anybody cutting up a car that has a decent windshield frame?

It's about time I finally replace my horrible windshield gasket so my finacee will quit complaining about wate rleaking in, and when I pull it out I know I'm going to find a lot of rust on my windshield frame. I need some metal of the right shape to patch in the pieces that are too rusty.

I have a '74 2002, but I would bet the frame for any 2002 would be OK (they use the same windshield for all years, right?).

What's a reasonable price? 100 bucks?

I'm in Ohio (zip code 45776), and will pay for shipping.

I'll also be in San Francisco for a conference June 14th to 18th, and could meet up some evening somewhere accessible by public transportation.

Thanks!

Kevin Funk

funkk@ohio.edu

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Hi Bluebeem,

Well, my part that is really rusty is the bottom driver's side corner.  I need that down to at least the rain channel below the windshield.  However, the rest of the frame itself is questionable, and likely rusty (the parts hidden by the gasket).  I'd like to have the whole thing standing by at the ready.  It's a hawaiian car, and the salt air was not kind.  It leaks bad around the top of the windshield. 

Mike Pelly may be cutting up some parts for me, but haven't heard from him in a few days.  Mark Lazano has a bottom he could send me, but it looks like its cut right right off at the bottom of the A-pillar, right where I have the most rust.  I could always put a bottom from his with a top from you maybe, and then I'll have everything ready for when we pull the windshield (still gotta drive the car a lot in meantime).

Ideally, I want a fully intact drivers side bottom corner, along with the entire frame thats hidden below the windshield gasket, along with a little extra metal to work with, just in case.  But if it comes down to it, I'll just have to piece together what I can get!

Thanks for your help!

Kevin Funk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

OK, I attached several files just so you know kind of what I am dealing with.  It ain't pretty, but I'm finally going to try and deal with it.

You can't see much though, because I covered most of the rust at the bottom driver's side corner with POR-15 Patch body filler.  Wherever you see that is lumpy, probably isn't metal.  Thats mostly confined to the bottom drivers side corner.  Rest of frame hidden by gasket is likely rusty, and needs new metal.  I have a couple road trips planned for the summer (plus dying to try out fresh rebuild/292/9.5:1/40DCOEs at a couple autocrosses), so I can't open this can of worms anytime soon.

Also, I apologize for the ugliness of the gobs of silicone.  It was leaking bad, and we had a time in Hawaii when it rained for 46 days straight.  Yes, 46 days, and the car was parked outside with permanent puddles in floor.  I had to hide under an umbrella and dry off windshield and gob that stuff everywhere.  It still didn't help much.

post-32217-0-43915000-1370994143_thumb.j

post-32217-0-53182100-1370994154_thumb.j

post-32217-0-57398000-1370994162_thumb.j

Bring a Welder

Hey Kevin,

The pics help a lot.  To be honest for the most part the main part of your frame appears fine - just looks like the lower left corner is rough.  For what it's worth on mine it had a similar situaion with a bad windshield gasket and along the top it's rust free some rust under the gasket on the A posts and then the water sat on the lower section under the gasket.  My Driver's side corner looks better than yours but not as good as some.  Not sure if I helped or not.

Phil

1972 2002 (soon to be daily driver)

1976 2002 (parts car)

1979 635CSI (soon to be daily driver)

• 1 month later...