• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help, or support fuse 11 blows on my 72 tii

dwalex

Thanks, Jim,

I have one more question. When I clean the screens, is there a special cleaner (like marvel mystery oil, we, kerosene, etc.) that you use? Or just a rag? I've got time if it needs to soak for awhile.

Dave

Nothing fancy required. Just soak the metal (brass?) screens in some cleaning solution of your choice, then rinse thoroughly. I like using a small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for tii parts. It works really well even on the fuel injectors.

Ultrasoniccleaner.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the sensors buried in the front seats that cause the "fasten seat belt" sign atop the dash to illuminate get their power thru fuse 11. The wiring in the seats wear through and short out against the seat frame--even if the seat belt light/buzzer no longer works. Happened on my 73 some years ago--drove me nuts 'cause that wire isn't in the factory wiring diagram for 72-73 US spec cars.

I did a column on tracking this down; drop me an e-mail if you'd like a copy...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

all those filter screens are great

and should be cleaned more often

than once in 40YEARS!

but now back to the core problem

the fuse blows for the fuel supply pump:

inspect the wiring running back to the fuel

supply pump - for cuts, pinching, body metal cutting

the wires, condition of the terminal connections,

and the pump itself is toast now if original, or willbe

toast next week. all that silt that you find clogging

the filters screens CAME THRU THE FUEL SUPPPLY

PUMP!. Think.

If your also saying you see non-BMW

stranger wiring tapped into the Fuse #11 circuit -

REMOVE IT! Start by removing Happy Harry's

nitemare wiring so your car can

live and you can drive.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Before you do anything else, pull the offending fuse, hook an ammeter to the fuse terminals and measure the current. I don't know what your pump should normally draw, but the reading should not be more than about 2/3 of the fuse rating. If the reading comes close to the fuse rating, then the pump is drawing too much current.

The most likely cause of this are worn-out bearings in the pump motor, causing the armature to rub on the stator.

If the current is low but the fuse blows, something is causing an occasional short. In any case, the pump needs to be replaced just because of age.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

If your also saying you see non-BMW

stranger wiring tapped into the Fuse #11 circuit -

REMOVE IT! Start by removing Happy Harry's

nitemare wiring so your car can

live and you can drive.

You mean like this?

IMG_8213.jpg

Or this?

DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0716.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

At last, I know what the hole in the middle of the battery tray is for.

Too many cars.

IMHO it is the fuel pump. Exactly what happened to me over several years, it was dragging and dragging, finally got to the point where it seized and popped fuses.

I could not find a real-deal year-correct new tii pump. Tried a rebuilt, no joy.

Here is the Recommended Fix Method: install a 5 series pump. I did, easy to do, no problems since.

http://www.my2002tii.com/tii-fuel-pump_how-to.htm

Cheers,

Carl

When there is a fuel pump relay, a draggy pump will overload that too, and ruin it.

Too many cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, troubleshot the system, cleaned the filters, still blows. Tried to source the tii pump but really don't have the $550 to $600 or so for it. Bought the 5 series pump for $275.

I have one more question, is 50 psi good for the fuel line?

Thanks everyone

dave

72 tii, tupelo honey

67 gt-6 ###%&$*;###!!

03 z-4 name undecided

12 fiat 500s quiche lorraine

How much current does the pump draw?

How big is the fuse (amps) ?

If the fuse is big enough for the pump, there is either something else putting an additional load on it, or you have an occasional short.

Too many cars.

That pump will put out, or should, about 29 psi. So the fuel line from the pump to the hard line, the hard line to the filter and the filter to the Kugelfisher and fifth injector should be rated higher than 29 psi

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5