• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swap & Show-13, 18 May 2013 at Brisbane Marina

layers

Just a quick note so everyone can put 18 May (our classic date) on their calendars for Swap & Show 13. The venue will be the Brisbane Marina (south of San Francisco), as in recent years. No more details yet, but specific planning starts in January!

A few more details as we sprint to the Swap & Show in a month.

-Registration is on-site only, 9-10AM, $20 to show or swap.

-We have shirts coming, Polaris colored with a neat design.

-Besides our usual cars to see, parts to swap, friends (old or instant) to talk to and our raffle, we are adding BMW2002FAQ_LIVE to discuss your questions and dispense tips.

We are, as usual, looking for some volunteers to help with setup and takedown; let us know if you want a few extra raffle tickets in exchange for a bit of your time.

Larry

post-18303-13667671476288_thumb.jpg

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

• 4 weeks later...

Hello--

Yes, we know that Bimmerfest decided to hold their show on the same weekend. When I e-mailed Tim Jones about our S&S-13 date a few months ago, he told me that he was locked in to 18 May (something about soccer tournaments in Pasadena). He also asked that we not mention his date before he officially announced it; I found that it is now public on the Bimmerfest site.

Our historic S&S date is the Saturday following Mother's Day, and while we avoided a Bimmerfest conflict the last couple of years by changing our date, we decided to keep our choice this time.

Discussing our date selection with our sponsors, the feeling is that the 2 shows appeal to different types of BMW owners so any real conflict would be small. We also found that at least one sponsor had trouble changing from our traditional date.

The bottom line is that we will pay some attention to what we hear about any conflicts (or lack of comments about conflicts) and discuss problems at our debrief meeting in June.

But thank you for making sure we know about the date conflict.

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

• 2 months later...

If you are into classic BMWs then Bimmerfest is not a very good choice anymore. I am not trying to trash talk or anything, its just an observation I made after attending last year.

I have been to Bimmerfest a few times sins 2007. It was really good while it was still in Santa Barbara. Great venue, very wide verity of cars, good crowd, nice city.

Here is why I did not like the Rose Bowl. Lots and lots of cops, most of the cars were "tuner" cars with 600hp and huge 25 speaker systems driven buy people from palm beach, the whole event seamed more like it was centered around selling large shiny wheels with sluty girls then it was around enjoying cars, and I could go on. in 2012 there were maybe 5 2002s, a and full of e21s and e28s and a few e30s. The majority of cars were e46s, e90s, and e92s with a few e36s mixed in.

If you are into classic cars, and not so into showing off how many LCD screens you fit in your head rests, then the Swap and Show is for you.

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What are the hours for this event? I'm hoping to come but I've got a father-and-son campout the night before.

You too huh? I assume this is the same commemoration celebration for the father son camp out that I am supposed to be attending. I think I am going to go to the camp out, but not stay over night. That way I can make the show the next day.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

You too huh? I assume this is the same commemoration celebration for the father son camp out that I am supposed to be attending. I think I am going to go to the camp out, but not stay over night. That way I can make the show the next day.

Hahah! Sounds like it. I'm all the way out in El Dorado Hills (about 30 miles east of Sacramento) so it's a bit of a drive regardless.  I checked the BayArea02 website and it says the show goes until 3:00, so that ought to be enough time to get out. Does the show keep going strong until 3:00, or does it peter out after noon or so? I don't want to drive out and get there at 1:00, for example, and find a ghost town.

I head in from Modesto. I bring my boys with me to the show. It seems to go strong until the end. Last year I left early because my youngest (6 at the time) was touching too many things. I will be better prepared this year. Hope to see you there. I have a Fjord blue '75 with a tan interior.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

Hi-

The Swap & Show has a few vehicles come & go during the day (Note: to show your car or have a swap area you need to register during the 9-10 period), but most stay at least for the raffle.  If you arrive later than the registration period you are free to park in the paved area (East of the swap area) and walk around, looking at cars, parts or even patronize Angelica's Taco truck.  Even during the clean-up period a number of cars (and drivers doing the cleanup) hang around.

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

Are there any Portlanders making the drive down this year?  I am still a little on the fence, but am leaning towards doing it and it would be great to have some company.  

I'll send a note directly to the ACA members as well; if any CCA guys are interested, could you email me using my link on here?

Cheers,

Jason

'73 2002tii Fjord

'02 M3 Convertible Jet Back/ Imola

Hey GoFaSSter, I'm going to be coming from Livermore, are you going to come through 580?  Maybe we should start an East Bay caravan.  If you want some company, I'll meet you somewhere.  I'm bringing my 4 and 6 year old boys too.

-Rudy

Hey GoFaSSter, I'm going to be coming from Livermore, are you going to come through 580?  Maybe we should start an East Bay caravan.  If you want some company, I'll meet you somewhere.  I'm bringing my 4 and 6 year old boys too.

-Rudy

Hey Rudy,

Sorry, I just saw this.  I ended up missing the show due to a blown head gasket the week before.  I know it can be repaired faster, but I did not have time in my work schedule for it.  I hope you had a great time.  I love the Brisbaine show and really missed not being there.

J.R.

1975 BMW 2002 Fjord

• Administrators

Some pictures from the Brisbane / Bmw2002faq.com show! Amazing turnout, amazing cars, etc etc. We drove Lina's 1971 2002 rally car down for the show, and had a pretty good response.

I made this into an article. If you would like to add anything to it, just do it there :)

It was great meeting you guys!

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some time (remembered) to upload my pictures....

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/tjones02_bucket/library/Bay%20Area%2002%20Swap%20and%20Shows/2013?sort=2&page=1

Daniel's MOJOJOY "SUPER" 2000 sedan engine!

P1040937_zpsbe88edeb.jpg

Neil McMillan and his 2000Ti(i)Lux.

P1040939_zps1c568a6d.jpg

Mathew Peterson and son having some playtime.

P1040942_zps89150e3a.jpg

A day on the grass.

P1040945_zps381f3275.jpg

A crowd shot...

P1040947_zpsbb366305.jpg

A very Grovertastic engine!

P1040948_zpsa6eb576a.jpg

This stunning '74 Tii is owned by Marshal Howard of Double 02 Salvage in Hayward CA...

P1040958_zps0dea516b.jpg

P1040954_zpsb63b4d03.jpg

The very cool later version (black ring) of the '80s BMWCCA Golden Gate Chapter grille badge of Larry Ayers '74 Tii. There used to be boxes and boxes of these at my house growing up, my Dad Rich Jones was coordinator and sold them for the chapter, he was also chapter president through that era.

P1040962_zps0a8dce20.jpg

Alex Katz '74 2002 with a TWM ITB Electromotive injected engine...

P1040974_zps0650e62c.jpg

Paul Huber's 2002 Baur. Very cool to see this car in Paul's hands again!

P1040987_zps365d0da2.jpg

Last but not least, the ever popular Bay Area 02 Swap&Show Raffle! Don't leave the show early or you'll miss what many say is the best part!

P1040978_zpseceaecce.jpg

P1040983_zpsb3587326.jpg

Cheers and until next year!

This post has been promoted to an article

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20