• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center Tie Rod Boot Replacement

austinmf

Just torqued my new center tie rod to the pitman arm and the boot split... only torqued it to 30 lbs...which is what is spec'd and the boot split.

I can find replacement boots for tie rods but not this. Anyone replace their boots on the center tie rod?

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Did you take off the little plastic dust cap that came on top of the rubber washer when you got the new track rod? If you put the track rod on with that little plastic cap still in place on top of the rubber washer and torqued it down you will easily split the rubber washer below as soon as you move the steering box back and forth a couple of times. I just bought a new track rod because I made the same stupid mistake. Maybe it wasn't so stupid because the Realoem diagram shows this little SOB of a dust cap looking like its supposed to be going on there too. I asked Steve(Blunt) from whom I got it, and he told me it's just a shipping protector for the rubber washer underneath it. The rubber washer is not available as a separate part.

Mike

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Did you take off the little plastic dust cap that came on top of the rubber washer when you got the new track rod? If you put the track rod on with that little plastic cap still in place on top of the rubber washer and torqued it down you will easily split the rubber washer below as soon as you move the steering box back and forth a couple of times. I just bought a new track rod because I made the same stupid mistake. Maybe it wasn't so stupid because the Realoem diagram shows this little SOB of a dust cap looking like its supposed to be going on there too. I asked Steve(Blunt) from whom I got it, and he told me it's just a shipping protector for the rubber washer underneath it. The rubber washer is not available as a separate part.

Mike

Seriously...

This really gets my goat, and my goat is ultra-rare and exceedingly precious to me.

A year ago I destroyed both rubber washers by installing a pair of new track rods with the shipping covers attached. I found a local BMW dealership that would sell me the rubber dust washers for something like $8.50 each with shipping. Before installing the track rods a second time, I looked up the torque specs again, thinking I had somehow managed to over-torque the parts on the first attempt. Nope, it was all good. Then I figured that I had mistakenly ordered the wrong parts. Nope, they had the correct part numbers on them. Fortunately, or unfortunately, as was the case, I had a spare set of the shipping covers in my parts stash and, thinking they were somehow necessary (thank you, Real OEM), I gently installed the new rubber dust washers with the old shipping covers and destroyed the new set of rubber dust washers. At that point, I threw some wrenches around the garage, cursed every inanimate object that was within earshot, and gave up, figuring it was OK that there no dust covers on my track rods since I never drive the $%^@$g car anyway.

Time to order another set of rubber dust covers. Or not.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Mike

Seriously...

This really gets my goat, and my goat is ultra-rare and exceedingly precious to me.

A year ago I destroyed both rubber washers by installing a pair of new track rods with the shipping covers attached. I found a local BMW dealership that would sell me the rubber dust washers for something like $8.50 each with shipping. Before installing the track rods a second time, I looked up the torque specs again, thinking I had somehow managed to over-torque the parts on the first attempt. Nope, it was all good. Then I figured that I had mistakenly ordered the wrong parts. Nope, they had the correct part numbers on them. Fortunately, or unfortunately, as was the case, I had a spare set of the shipping covers in my parts stash and, thinking they were somehow necessary (thank you, Real OEM), I gently installed the new rubber dust washers with the old shipping covers and destroyed the new set of rubber dust washers. At that point, I threw some wrenches around the garage, cursed every inanimate object that was within earshot, and gave up, figuring it was OK that there no dust covers on my track rods since I never drive the $%^@$g car anyway.

Time to order another set of rubber dust covers. Or not.

Strangely enough the new one Steve sent me was from Meyle(made in Turkey) and did not have the plastic protectors installed over the rubber gaskets. Someone must have gotten wise to this little mistake people have been making when installing these. I'm sure we're not the only ones who did this.

Mike

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

William

I have done this also

can you supply the part numbers for the new rubber boots

you were able to buy?

thanks

Mike

According to Blunt you can't order the rubber washer separately. You need to buy the entire track rod.

Mike

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

This is not what your thinking of. Its a big fat rubber washer that acts as a gasket. Your thinking of the tie rod end boots. Something else entirely.

Mike

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

William

I have done this also

you were able to buy?

thanks

Mike

Mike,

For clarification, I'm referring to the center link, which I believe was the subject of the original poster's thread. I referred to track rods because I'm of limited mental capacity. If you visit this link:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=32_0969&hg=32&fg=05

and you look at numbers 10 and 11 in the image, you'll see the parts to which I'm referring. It's possible that these are NOT the parts to which the other posters are referring, which is also explained by my reduced cranial volume, which is roughly equivalent to that of a hoolock gibbon.

The specific parts referenced in my previous post are:

10 DUST CAP 32212675124 $9.63

11 WASHER-GASKET 32211101374 $1.63

It's entirely possible that the dust caps (part 10, with part number 32212675124) are necessary. It is a certainty that they are evil, that they can and will crack and deform when the center link is tightened to the Pitman arms, and that deforming and/or cracking the dust covers can and will tear the rubber washer-gasket/sponge donut during installation.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Here is a picture...note the cracked black brittle dust cover.

Do I discard the dust cover? The gasket is a foam that does not seem like it will compress well.

post-19339-13667652767771_thumb.jpg

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

William

I have done this also

you were able to buy?

thanks

Mike

Mike,

For clarification, I'm referring to the center link, which I believe was the subject of the original poster's thread. I referred to track rods because I'm of limited mental capacity. If you visit this link:

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=32_0969&hg=32&fg=05

and you look at numbers 10 and 11 in the image, you'll see the parts to which I'm referring. It's possible that these are NOT the parts to which the other posters are referring, which is also explained by my reduced cranial volume, which is roughly equivalent to that of a hoolock gibbon.

The specific parts referenced in my previous post are:

10 DUST CAP 32212675124 $9.63

11 WASHER-GASKET 32211101374 $1.63

It's entirely possible that the dust caps (part 10, with part number 32212675124) are necessary. It is a certainty that they are evil, that they can and will crack and deform when the center link is tightened to the Pitman arms, and that deforming and/or cracking the dust covers can and will tear the rubber washer-gasket/sponge donut during installation.

I'm with you Bill. I saw the same thing on RealOEM. The plastic cap is unnecessary(#10) This guy is in luck. From his picture his hasn't torn the rubber washer, the important part.

Just disassemble and get rid of plastic cap.

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

I'm with you Bill. I saw the same thing on RealOEM. The plastic cap is unnecessary(#10) This guy is in luck. From his picture his hasn't torn the rubber washer, the important part.

I'm inclined to believe that the dimensions of the center link "bolt" portions (the parts that secure the center link to the Pitman arms) have changed over time. I had 3 worn out center links in my stash--parts that I took off working cars--and each of them featured at least one dust cap that was NOT deformed or torn. I've also see intact dust covers on several cars in junkyards, and on several cars under which I've been snooping.

The fact that the dust cover has both a part number and price leads me to believe that they were, at some point, part of the equation. Perhaps advancements in the joints at the end of the center link have eliminated the need for the plastic dust cover. Or perhaps the Pitman arm wears over time, allowing the bolt portion of the center link to slide deeper into the Pitman arm, which results in the dust cover getting crushed when proper torque is applied.

The answer is out there, and it comes in 37 delicious flavors.

williamggruff

I'm inclined to believe that the dimensions of the center link "bolt" portions (the parts that secure the center link to the Pitman arms) have changed over time. I had 3 worn out center links in my stash--parts that I took off working cars--and each of them featured at least one dust cap that was NOT deformed or torn. I've also see intact dust covers on several cars in junkyards, and on several cars under which I've been snooping.

The fact that the dust cover has both a part number and price leads me to believe that they were, at some point, part of the equation. Perhaps advancements in the joints at the end of the center link have eliminated the need for the plastic dust cover. Or perhaps the Pitman arm wears over time, allowing the bolt portion of the center link to slide deeper into the Pitman arm, which results in the dust cover getting crushed when proper torque is applied.

The answer is out there, and it comes in 37 delicious flavors.

You are 100% right. There must be some variation in this part spec. I have observed the same thing on the two other cars I have. One has it and the other doesn't. The one that had it seemed like it had a smaller rubber that sat inside the cap. The cap wasn't crushed and it seemed like it belonged. When I put this one together and tightened it, it looked wrong and when I turned the wheel and it ripped, I knew it was wrong.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

• 4 years later...

So glad I found this post but..

just did center link today- after doing front bushes tie rods ball joints the works, I'm still baffled

these big fat rubber washers don't seem to let me to torque down the nut enough- I did it to around 30lb - but the castle nut still is not far enough down to put a new cotter pin through- scared of driving the car without the pin!

have I missed something? In fact, one of the new castle nuts thread wore right out- it was a cheapo. I think I paid 55 for the center link total.

can I just use nylon nuts? I feel that these big rubber washers are too much to get a cotter pin through.. Will try take photos.

Edited by 72_02