• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter mounting bolts to trans. are loose..

SteveK535

there is a switch to the shift plate right in way of the passenger side 8mm socket head mounting bolt to the transmission. Very limited access and I can't get my hands in there easily. Anyone know what it is and how to remove it? Just got the car and the manuals are on the way. Shifter rebuild is coming when the parts arrive but I want to tighten the bolt in the mean time so it won't fall out. Switch is in the way and I can't figure out how it comes off.

post-20588-1366764919956_thumb.jpg

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

1 jack up rear high /jack stands please

2 Socket,(8 mm allen on mine) rachet ,2feet or so of extensions the more drop the better

3 light source

4 attack from rear always works for me

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

Thanks, that's not exactly my problem though. If this switch wasn't there, I would be all set and access it as you have stated. This switch is directly in way of the access to the socket head of the fastener, I'd say its less than one inch clearence, can't get a tool in there at all. I've read a bunch of other posts on these bolts and nobody mentions this switch, what am I missing? It'll be a piece of cake once I take down the drive shaft and exaust to do the guibo, center bearing and shifter rebuild, but for now I just want to tighten that fastener. I may be missing something - probably am, but could you speak specifically about how to deal with this switch? Because it is so hard to see, I am guessing that it is threaded into the mounting plate, if so I'm stumped on how to get it out without some serious work removing the stuff I mentioned above.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

2 - 2012 Hotwheels BMW 2002s (Inka and Chamonix) 0 miles! (both are #21 of 247!!)

I don't know what that switch is. Don't think I have ever seen one there on any other 02. Previous owner install? Jimmy Jo reverse switch? Is there a switch in the cockpit by the shifter?

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

The wire comes down and is clipped to the mount support bracket and then goes back up the driver side of the tunnel where it meets up with the harness that goes to the reverse switch (I think - like I said I don't have my manual yet so I am assuming that since it taps into the back of the trans. its the reverse light switch). Funny thing is, wires are slider clipped onto the switch, but one of the clips is missing, so only one wire is actually attached. I can't figure what this thing would have done, and since the one wire is off, its not doing anything now anyway, but it appears to be original as the wires are not spliced as best I can recollect.

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

You can always try the idiot backyard method.....

Take out the switch, tighten the bolt, and they wait and see what doesn't work, if anything.

While there are probably hundreds on here that will tell you not to do it, they all have resorted to it at one time or another .

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

Yeah, was gonna do that, but getting the switch off is just as challenging due to access...anyway I got it, I cut a 1 inch stub off a 8mm allen wrench, pleaded with it to go in the socket head using the tips of my fingers, finally it went in, then used a open ended wrench - 1/8 of a turn at a time...flip it over, another 1/8 turn, etc. until it was finally tight. Only problem was now that it tightened up, the allen stub was almost impossible to get out. Finally got it though. But best of all now I feel comfortable that it won't come apart, got a temp registration tonight and we're off. Here's a pic of my new ride.

post-18144-13667649253101_thumb.jpg

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

I've seen that switch before on factory shift platforms. It's function? I recall having been told (don't hold me to this) the switch was a smog equipment device which signaled the transmission was in 4th gear (perhaps to affect/adjust timing via a vacuum solenoid/signal to the distributor...?)

OP - nice fix ... those bolts are notorious for falling out.

-KB

Agreed! Thanks for the help, support and info. First post onthis board and already a big fan!!!

1972 Bavaria (sold)

1985 535i (sold)

1986 535i (sold)

1996 328is daily driver

1973 2002

1968 Porsche 912

1973 Triumph TR6

On Mintgrun the shifter was getting worse, driving her for the 1st time this week. Jacked her up , 1 bolt missing the other loose , tightened , now we have a "sport shifter " :) no daft switch , she's a 75 California Car too.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

my 73 has the same wires, but they are just tied off and hang. they don't go to the tranmission and there is no where for them to plug in. was like that when i bought it. it was desmogged, so that makes sense that it has something to do with the smog system

I believe you have one of the few remaining cars with a neutral safety switch still intact! My car had the wiring and mount for the switch, but the switch wasn't installed when I bought the car. IF you remove it, please document what type of switch and any markings for us. The tab securing the switch is welded to the shifter support tower and there is a black rubber bushing that holds the switch. I believe you can just pull the switch out of the bushing to gain access to the right side hex bolt (8mm Allen wrench).

305f85e5.jpg

dca7795b.jpg

The wires are clipped along the tranny mount

f80f87de.jpg

05e5931f.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"