Guest Anonymous

paint questions

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

has anyone had their 02 painted the original color at Maaco?how much was it if theres no rust or body work needed. also is there anone in socal thats willing to paint my 73 the original color sahara. or how much have you guys paid for paint on a straight rust free body?

You can get a good paint job at those places, but you will have to do ALL the prep work before That means removing the windows, bumpers, trim, lights, etc....then sanding down the paint, primer and sanding again. Thats if it needs NOTHING. Are you sure you have ZERO dings or nicks? Or you dont are about them? Its tough for a 35+ year old car to have zero dings...if you do then you have to have those repaired and prepped for paint as well. If you can do it yourself then you are golden...prep it and then send it to Maaco or one of the 1 day wonder paint places that uses GOOD PAINT and then reassemble the car yourself. If you expect a good paint gob from them by just scuffing the paint, painting over your existing paint and masking your windows and bumpers...its probably not going to be great.

You know that California changed the law January 1st forcing body shops to use an "environmentally- friendly" lead-free car paint ---and it's crap. My nephew owns a body shop & he loathes the paint that the state has forced them to use. He says it's difficult to apply, takes 2-3x longer to spray and the results are sub-par compared to what they were using before. I decided to take my car across the border to Tijuana to escape the new law and got a pretty great paint job for $900 - 1/3 of what I would have had to pay my nephew. I had an old Mercedes diesel station wagon painted & I'm pretty happy with the results.

has anyone had their 02 painted the original color at Maaco?how much was it if theres no rust or body work needed. also is there anone in socal thats willing to paint my 73 the original color sahara. or how much have you guys paid for paint on a straight rust free body?

If there is no rust or body work needed, why do you want to paint it?

Have you tried polishing the existing finish?

You know that California changed the law January 1st forcing body shops to use an "environmentally- friendly" lead-free car paint ---and it's crap. My nephew owns a body shop & he loathes the paint that the state has forced them to use. He says it's difficult to apply, takes 2-3x longer to spray and the results are sub-par compared to what they were using before. I decided to take my car across the border to Tijuana to escape the new law and got a pretty great paint job for $900 - 1/3 of what I would have had to pay my nephew. I had an old Mercedes diesel station wagon painted & I'm pretty happy with the results.

The paint you are referring to is water-based. The application is different than the previous solvent based paint, but when applied correctly, provides a beautiful durable finish.

Guest Anonymous

If there is no rust or body work needed, why do you want to paint it?

Have you tried polishing the existing finish?

The paint you are referring to is water-based. The application is different than the previous solvent based paint, but when applied correctly, provides a beautiful durable finish.

i need to paint it cause the hood is an ugly light purple or something color. i buffed the rest of the car and it shines super nice. can i just get the hood painted. how much would that cost?

Now y'er talking...

You can get whatever you want painted. Keep in mind that the color will most likely be difficult to match as the adjacent panels have aged sun-beaten finish on them.

What type of budget do you have? Did you already mention it? Sorry if I missed it.

Your best bet is to try taking it to a couple body shops and asking them what they think. My guess, for a mid-high end shop - $600/$800 including prep. You could reduce this by quite a bit if you performed the disassembly and prep work yourself. You could work out whether they thought it was worth blending or if you would settle with a "close-match" color tone.

Maaco would probably do it for under $300, but if you really are proud of your 02, don't do it. You'll just have to go back and redo their band-aid later anyways.

Does this help?