• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any tips to get the hard lines back on the caliper?

Armond

it just take a bucket full of patience. Really look at them and make sure they are straight, flush, plumb and even.

Did you take the other end loose and hook the caliper end first?

Remember they love to fight you but you will always win!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

I have better luck bottoming the hard line (with the flare end) into the caliper hole and then attempting to screw in the retaining nut. Careful wiggling of hard line helps locate the start of the thread. It is important to have the line and hole orientation aligned. Hope this makes sense--good luck.

As said before, loosen the other end of the line and just wiggle it around till it goes on. It should go almost to the bottom with just your hand, if it gets tight back it off and try it again, you don't want to cross thread it.

I LOVE HYDRAULICS!!!!

Chris

Well I got one in. I'll loosen up the other end on the others and try again tomorrow. I'm done for the day but will report back. Thanks for all the replies.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

funny you should ask this as i have brake fluid all over my hands from bleeding my new brake calipers. the trick that seemed to work for me best was to get the hard lines attached with the caliper unbolted. only tighten enough to get them started good so you know they arent cross threaded and then mount the caliper and finger tighten all the bolts then wrench your calipers on then wrench the brake lines. im super paranoid of cross threading bolts because my car has been a headache for the last 2 months due to 3 cross threaded bolts at various points of the car. uhgg.. nother day nother dollar lost i guess lol. good luck

random025copy.jpg

you'd be done now if you removed the 2-caliper bolts

that easy .

I tried that first from the get go but had trouble finding the start of the thread of the hard lines while holding the caliper. I suppose it would have been better if I had someone holding the caliper or vise versa

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti