• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

e30 w/ Square headlights???

madhaxor_3

I went to the junkyard this past weekend and saw something really weird. It was a '84 e30 convertible with square headlights. I've never seen or heard of it before. I looked it up on google and only came up with one image that had it (bright green). So I'm guessing that it's some kind of conversion kit. I don't know but it did make me do a double take passing by it knowing full well that it was a BMW but with a strange headlight setup.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this before? I thought it might be a "limited"(stupid idea BMW designers abandoned really fast) euro version or something, but it doesn't seem like it after doing the search.

CIMG0090.jpg

CIMG0091.jpg

Less exciting for everyone, but pat on the back for me, I figured out how to add pics in a thread :-)

1975 2002 *POS(piece of ....) in progress to becoming TS(the ....)*

That car looks like it has a Baur convertible/Targa top. Maybe the square headlights are a Baur thing?

There's a '77-78 Baur BMW something at a shop near me and it has a similar convertible top, body kit and headlights to what is shown.

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

• 2 years later...
That car looks like it has a Baur convertible/Targa top. Maybe the square headlights are a Baur thing?

There's a '77-78 Baur BMW something at a shop near me and it has a similar convertible top, body kit and headlights to what is shown.

This is a revival of an old thread. It came up in another forum.

1) Yes that is a TC2 (E30) Baur.

2) No, the headlights are not a "Baur' thing. They were available as an aftermarket product through Kamei/Zender/Taifun.

3) I wonder if the Baur noted above as having been seen in a shop near Hanover PA was the one pictured (attached).

At Baurspotting we are trying to locate and identify ALL the BMW Baurs in the US. We would be VERY appreciative of any information that anyone can provide on either of those two Baurs: the red one with the square headlights and the body kit seen in the California junkyard by the original poster; and the one seen in the shop near Hanover PA.

Any idea what junkyard that was? All clues/rumors/reports welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Info on ANY Baur, Cabrio welcome at any time!

http://baurspotting.blogspot.com/

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

1973 2002 Malaga (with frosting), 1982 323i Baur

1991 325ix (winter), 1977 320i (carbed), 1989 325ix

1989 325iC (summer), 1979 323i (project), 1978 320i (parts)

3) I wonder if the Baur noted above as having been seen in a shop near Hanover PA was the one pictured (attached).

No pic attached, but its not the one in the 1st post.

The Baur in Hanover,PA ended up on craigslist and must have been sold (disappeared from Hanover).

Alll I remember about it was = 6 cyl, 5 speed and according to the salesman, the owners wife took a pipe to it (dented all over, the title probably had dents also) and a knife to the seats. The body kit was held on with wood screws and that Baur had seen better days.

When I looked at the Baur, I was really looking for an '02 and the Baur kit/conversion just uglied up a nice car (JMO, at the time). I have since found an appreciation for the Baur conversions.

Fishhead

----------------------

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

No pic attached, but its not the one in the 1st post.

The Baur in Hanover,PA ended up on craigslist and must have been sold (disappeared from Hanover).

Alll I remember about it was = 6 cyl, 5 speed and according to the salesman, the owners wife took a pipe to it (dented all over, the title probably had dents also) and a knife to the seats. The body kit was held on with wood screws and that Baur had seen better days.

When I looked at the Baur, I was really looking for an '02 and the Baur kit/conversion just uglied up a nice car (JMO, at the time). I have since found an appreciation for the Baur conversions.

My error... I thought I had attached the pic. I would wager that this is the car in question.... I know the present owner, and he described similar war wounds on the Baur, although he didnt know how they got there. If this is in fact the car, he will love that story! We have actually traced this car through about 4 ownerships. It is currently being restored.

If it turns out to be the car, it is another example of .... It's A Small Baur World !

Thanks also for the great info on the square headlight kits, jgerock! We have seen a number of examples on E21s, but I don't recall seeing too many E30s with that.... er ... style. Not my taste, for sure.

Here is an example of the square headlight E21 Baur. this one was spotted in Merrick LI NY a couple of years ago.... and we are still searching for it. Interestingly enough, our information, still not officially confirmed, is that this may be a Baur that was once owned by Christiane Baur... of the Baur family. Interesting provenance, if true.

Any Baurspotters out there on western Long Island? We would LOVE to find this car!

More pics here:

http://markspizz.net/?p=424

post-22228-13667667685061_thumb.jpg

post-22228-13667667685171_thumb.jpg

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,333680/highlight,/

The Hanover one was a 1982 E21. It had side skirts like in the 1st pic in this thread. It was for sale a long time ago, I thought it was red, but I could be wrong.

Fishhead

----------------------

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,333680/highlight,/

The Hanover one was a 1982 E21. It had side skirts like in the 1st pic in this thread. It was for sale a long time ago, I thought it was red, but I could be wrong.

The shop I am thinking of had TWO E21s for sale at the same time.... a red one and this blue/green Baur with the body kit. It was a 6 cylinder 5 speed when my friend bought it, and it was all beat up.... here it is the day he picked it up.

In the earlier pic above, you can see the red (Henna) one parked behind it.

post-22228-13667667685465_thumb.jpg

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs

7197790027_large.jpg

This is a pic of the hood on the Baur. I just checked, and my friend did indeed buy this car in Hanover PA. !

Small Baur World.

It looks like someone was angry when they redesigned the hood!

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Wm Shakespeare.

;)

Here is another pic:

7197790028_medium.jpg

Tom

Connecticut

Home for Feral BMWs