• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 1602 Pig Cheek

jmr_1602

your e mail kicked back....

here was my response:

Hey there.......I do have more pics w/ the t bo flares. I did all 4 at the same et. I did what the previous owner of the BMW Ti rally car used. That is the white and blue rally car on YouTube.

I had to file down my Volvo bbk a wee bit.

But you can do neg 8 up to 12...... No biggie.depends what look you want. Also it would change cars attitude in hard corners.

Where r u sourcing them?.....they were really hard to find.

fronts...

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest Anonymous

front flares came out very nice not much hassel got some alpina race flares looks good later Jayson Gonsalves Manamotorsports@live.com

• 3 years later...

Its' been a few years since I've worked on my 1602. Life as a starving artist didn't leave much cash to splurge on my car...and entertaining women took a big chunk out of my budget. Luckily, I found a lady who really loves me, so now I can move my focus on to more important matters. 

I usually drove it 2 out 5 days a week till last Summer when I felt the rear drum brakes wearing out. So, to the garage she sat untill I could get time to gather parts and work on her. Fast forward to 2015 and I have a 250mm rear drum kit from IE sitting in my living room.The while I'm at it notion kicked in, and I composed a list of things I want to get done.

So far I've gathered/have on order:

- IE front sway bar (already have rear)

- IE front strut brace

- IE fixed camber plates (I have K-Macs and don't like them.)

- IE coilovers with shortend strut inserts.

- Offset roll center spacers

- 15x8.5 Epsilon Mesh 3 pc wheels et10. (Refurbishing them now.)

For the rears I have Bilstein sport shocks with unknown springs. Will be sorting that out soon.

I've also started body work. I'd like to have this car all one color again. I'm undecided to what color I want, but am leaning towards a BRG, but I also like some of the hot rod flatz paint jobs. I'll figure it out when I get to that point. I'm definitely leaving the exposed rivets for the rear flares, because I like the old school look. Not because I'm lazy...well maybe a little lazy.

I haven't taken any recent photos of my process. I keep forgetting while working on the car. I'll make a conscious effort from here on out tho. For now here are some crappy instagram pics through out the past 2 years.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-10%20at%205.38.1Screen%20Shot%202015-03-10%20at%205.43.5

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love this build. Those Ronals are just too cool. Did 71 1602 cars come with all the later model running gear(brake booster, clutch, diff)?

I'm pretty sure 71 1602's came with updated clutch and brake booster. I know mine does. LSD is from a 320is.

Update:

Still doing a lot of priming and block sanding, but I'm getting close to finishing. Below is a rendering I made in Illustrator of what my goal is. Bristol paint with satin black hood and trunk. Other contenders were Florida, Polaris, Tampico, Derby, and Turf Green. In the end Bristol always took the first slot on my goat list.

1600-COLORBLOCK-SM.jpg

I've also picked up a Getrag 245 off of eBay. I paid a little more than I wanted, but trying to find one on the east coast has proven difficult. No plans to install it anytime soon, but I thought it would be best to grab one now since every year the prices seem to rise on these things.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Hey Mike,

I used to see tons of photos of that 2000C a few years back, but never realized it was Bristol. I love the look even more now. Didn't that car go to Europe? 

BTW, I didn't have any luck with NML for the Alpina fabric, but I'm now on Gerrits list. The search continues.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Snuck a few hours this Memorial Day to work on the 1600. Seeing all the cars at The Vintage really got me motivated. I started off the morning fine tuning the fit of my front flares. Then moved on to polishing the lip of one of my Epsilons.

The Motorsport roundel is just a mock up. I also have it in the greyscale color way. In addition I have two versions of the Epsilon logo. I'll decide what to do about them after I paint the car.

4150adc6ab56d233f16b0a1391a7b588.jpg

I'm not going for a full restoration on these wheels. I like the patina on the lips, so I'm just going to shine them up a bit. The faces I had powder coated a few weeks ago.

4862f750e1e5d049c20f9189a7f97999.jpg

After that I layer down some Por15 in the wheel well and the side panel. The side panel is covered by the rear flares. The springs are IE race springs matched with Bilstein Sports. I think I will switch it out to a stage two spring though. The small drums are getting upgraded to 250's. Just waiting on a few parts from Mobile Traditions.

8fa2a9b114a57147f7c393807fe90e39.jpg

Once that was done I got around to spraying some etching primer on the passenger side flares. Didn't bother taking photos of the process. It's just paint drying.

To reward myself for all my hard work I switched out my old MOMO wheel for a vintage Niki Lauda wheel by MOMO. I like the connection between Lauda, Alpina and the 1600.

2451af166b80c3d049802887eaad9014.jpg

That's about it for now. Hopefully I'll be ready for paint in 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmr_1602

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

• 2 weeks later...

I've been mostly busy with bodywork. I feel like now I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I took most of the panels down to the original primer and other areas to bare metal. After I applied a 2K epoxy primer from Eastwood. For the fiberglass pieces I used an etching primer as the first few coats.

673b884db1d6507286eda99b814f50d5.jpg

14b1492738153d3e8272594c8d8703ae.jpg

Still have more block sanding to do, and I have to turn the car around to get at the drivers side.

For large flat areas like the trunk and roof I've been using the roller method using this U-Pol primer. It seems to be laying down flat. We'll see what happens when I start blocking again.

5c923452b5cb2fc028ffefae660fa1a2.jpg

For the more curvy and hard to get areas I've been using this. The caps used on these cans are great. You can adjust the amount of paint being sprayed with a turn of a knob on the cap. I'll add that it almost feels like I'm spraying with a gun. For $26 a can I feel like I've got my money's worth.

ed79d47cb199c13e4196807cbdb0e926.jpg

Other things on my to-do list are to replace the rear IE race springs with their Stage 2 springs and install my front IE coilovers before final paint.

1d9b6cdca58be86f51cbfb5f01a7102e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

• 2 weeks later...