• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 1602 Pig Cheek

jmr_1602

I agree I'd rather have a polished lip as well. I think in the future I'll redo the wheels, but for now I just chose to go with the duplicolor to hide all the imperfections.

I just got my IE rears in tonight, I'll email you tomorrow about with a comparison of the Mana Motorsport flares after I get them unpacked.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

• 3 weeks later...

Been working a lot on the car for the past week. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the process, because I was in the "zone."

Anyhow, I've successfully chopped and welded the rear fender, installed the Korman hood, attached the rear IE flares, and added an ANSA sport muffler.

Later this week I'm going change out the trans fluid, clean up the under carriage.

On to some photos!

rear-34.jpg

frt-flare.jpg

Not sure if it's a newly added feature, but the Korman FG hood now has a tubed fiberglass "X" brace molded into it for more stability. I know people have complained about them being flimsy in the past.

flare-top.jpg

rear-flare.jpg

side-3.jpg

front-1.jpg

As of now, I'm enjoying the sound of the Ansa. I kept my original muffler just in case I grow tired of it.

ansa.jpg

I'm still debating on what I want to do about the paint. This car is far from original so I'm thinking about having some fun with it. Im contemplating on painting it with one of the Hot Rod Flatz colors (perhaps a matte blue or green.) I'm not sure yet, I have some time to think about what I want to do.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

J

Just noticed the updates!!!!!!!!......car looks very good.......congrats.

Would you say the rear flares offer as much or more clearance than the turbo flares?...I assume so....and hope so!..

oh...I like the rubber hood latches...very period uber correct. How did you attach those....rivets?...

Joel,

The rears do offer more room vs. the turbo flares. Not sure by how much, but I still have plenty of room to fill out back (about 30mm.) I'm regretting not waiting to find a set of 13x8's, but the deal I got on the ATS's on there now was too good. Anyhow I think your ML's will look perfect.

For the hood-hold downs I used rivets to attach to the hood, and 5mm nutserts for the fenders.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

cool beaNS,,,.. your car has soared past mine at this point.....and it looks really good. All your choices are working out very well.

After you cut the rear wells, did you weld together innr and outr fenders?....or?

anyhew...keep us posted. The frt flares really look good.

• 1 month later...

I haven't gotten much done lately, but I've been thinking about paint and have done some color blocking. I think I've figured out which way I want to go.

I borrowed a photo from a fellow FAQ'r (egas.) I'm going to stick with Baikal as my main color, and use glossy vinyl vehicle wrap for the white accents. The original color of my 1602 was Chamonix, so this will be sort of a tribute to its original state. Plus I think it looks good.

color-block.jpg

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

• 1 month later...

It's going to be awhile before I can paint my car. Luckily I have a friend who has a sign shop, and he's hooked me up with some vinyl wrap for cheap.

Did half of my car today in matte black. It's not perfect but looks better than a rattle can job. Plus I'm hoping it will preserve the Baikal paint I have now.

I'll take some better photos in the future. For now here's a cell phone pic.

post-16813-13667647229961_thumb.jpg

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Got around to taking some better photos today. Still a work in progress.

mb-03.jpg

mb-02.jpg

I didn't like the ATS wheels fully painted, so I sanded down the lips and gave em a quick polish. Still need to get new tires, 185/55/13 looks silly.

mb-04.jpg[/url]

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

• 1 month later...

Well, after 2 months of driving with the Ansa Sport muffler, I went back to stock. It was fun at first, and I'll miss the popping and throaty sound, but with my ears I'll be much happier with my stock. Perhaps in the future I'll upgrade to the IE system.

In addition to removing the Ansa, I also installed the rear IE sway bar I had sitting around for a few months. My stock sway bar bushings were almost non-exsistant. I used the search function to figure out the install. Sanded down the flat side of "D" bushing a bit, and used the longer bolt method to tighten the bar down. Probably took me 1.5 hours to finish the project. I'm going to upgrade my fronts shortly.

sway-1.jpg

sway-2.jpg

While I was under the car, I took a picture of the "S" on my diff. Just thought it looked cool.

diff.jpg

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Jrk,

I just picked up some 205/60/13's, thanks though. I hope to pick up some Revolutions or Minilites in the future, and the tires you have mounted are great looking.

As far as noise from my rear sway bar, I haven't noticed any noise. In fact it got rid of the "clanking" noises I had with my old stock sways.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602