Jparra

what is this for....

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

ok so ive been looking at alot of your guys 02's on here and i havent seen this in any of them. Its not connected to anything(although in the pic it looks like it is). I asked one of my friends and he said its probly a gas overflow but he said dont take his word because he doesnt work on bmw's. Thanks, Jesse. its the little box thing on the right side. and also its not mounted on or anything it just sits there.

post-18040-13667623635477_thumb.jpg

Charcoal canister for gasoline fumes. Should mount above the pass rear fender on the bottom of the package shelf. Most have deleted them.

Matthew

but otherwise Matthew is correct as to location.

Make sure those old fabric-covered fuel lines are in good shape. The rubber can be dried out and cracked, allowing fumes to fill the trunk & cabin.

you guys are confusing me...what does charcoal have to do with it?

Nothing. Forget I said that. I was wrong. Sorry about that. Listen to John as he is a genius.

Matthew

That plastic canister is held in place by a curved, springy piece of steel, about 4-5" long and maybe a ¼" wide. Yours is probably lost, which is why the unit is lying on the floor of the trunk instead of up in its proper location. Might post a request for one on the PARTS WANTED site and see if someone has one for you.

Bob Napier

but otherwise Matthew is correct as to location.

Make sure those old fabric-covered fuel lines are in good shape. The rubber can be dried out and cracked, allowing fumes to fill the trunk & cabin.

Maybe thats why my trunk always smells.... I know what I'm spending money on next!!

Oh. You guys are looking at the filter, I thought you were looking at the other large space, the one I use for golf clubs and groceries.

I will take a wild guess: it must be a muffler, to cut down the sound of the gas pump, especially if it is a tii! Just glue it on the trunk board...