• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lebowski's Absolutely Kosher Turbo Project

Lebowski

Well, I've been quietly working on a turbo project on my 1970. As the time gets closer to MidAmerica 02 Fest in Eureka Springs I get more and more uptight that I'm not going to make it. I thought I would post some of the progress to date in case I don't make it!

Stock block/pistons/crank

Cometic head gasket/ARP head studs

SDS EM-4F EFI system

BMW 318i intake/fuel rail

M20 throttle body

Bosch 42# injectors

T3/T4 hybrid journal bearing turbo, 50 trim with .48 A/R on the hot side

Tial wastegate

HKS blow-off valve

M3 oil filter housing with oil cooler

Stainless 2.5" exhaust with scratch and dent corsa/uuc e39 M5 muffler

Intercooler is like 27"x7"x2.75" (I think)

post-14664-1366762356092_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667623564411_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667623567649_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667623571078_thumb.jpg

post-14664-13667623574542_thumb.jpg

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

dam looks real clean. How many pounds of boost do you plan on running and whats your expected power output? Id immagine around 280-330 witth that turbo. What engine management will you use mega squirt?

Good luck on finishing it up in time!

Thanks for the kind words...

In response to some questions, the turbo is made by a company called Master Power. They are made in Brazil and we have a local shop who sells them with a 1 year warranty. At about 1/2 the price of a similar Garrett turbo, they get me a big step up from a junkyard turbo that may or may not be sized properly for this setup. I wanted a good starting point that I can always change out later...

The turbo manifold is made by 666 Fabrication, and it is beautifully made. Another bonus is the placement of the turbo is perfect and doesn't interfere with any of the existing hoses, tensioners, etc. On the downside, I went with a turbo requiring an external wastegate so that had to be plumbed into the manifold... Jon at 666 does make them though with external wastegate fittings, I just ran out of time to send it back to him or have him make a new one.

I'm using the same aftermarket EFI system Pat Allen is using by a company called SDS. I am too electronically stupid to be able to sort out a megasquirt system for myself, and the thought of trying to figure out how to wire in a capacitor/etc makes my head spin.

I'm aiming for about 200hp at 12 pounds of boost. I don't want to start breaking other driveline components that would require serious $ and fabrication to replace... think e30 transmission/rear subframe. But 200hp in this car should still be fun and fit the car's character perfectly.

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

I think the exhaust should be plenty for this car. 2 1/2 inch exhaust should flow up to at least 250hp, and the muffler is a straight through design which shouldn't hinder performance. Again, I'm trying to be realistic in terms of my horsepower goals and what I think fits the character of the car. I would have liked to do a 3" downpipe, but the turbo outlet is 2 1/2", and I can always redo the downpipe later if I change out the turbo...

Aaron

Thanks for the kind words...

In response to some questions, the turbo is made by a company called Master Power. They are made in Brazil and we have a local shop who sells them with a 1 year warranty. At about 1/2 the price of a similar Garrett turbo, they get me a big step up from a junkyard turbo that may or may not be sized properly for this setup. I wanted a good starting point that I can always change out later...

The turbo manifold is made by 666 Fabrication, and it is beautifully made. Another bonus is the placement of the turbo is perfect and doesn't interfere with any of the existing hoses, tensioners, etc. On the downside, I went with a turbo requiring an external wastegate so that had to be plumbed into the manifold... Jon at 666 does make them though with external wastegate fittings, I just ran out of time to send it back to him or have him make a new one.

I'm using the same aftermarket EFI system Pat Allen is using by a company called SDS. I am too electronically stupid to be able to sort out a megasquirt system for myself, and the thought of trying to figure out how to wire in a capacitor/etc makes my head spin.

I'm aiming for about 200hp at 12 pounds of boost. I don't want to start breaking other driveline components that would require serious $ and fabrication to replace... think e30 transmission/rear subframe. But 200hp in this car should still be fun and fit the car's character perfectly.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I am sure this thing sounds like a beast with that M5 muffler!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating things quicker. It has literally been a day to day struggle to attempt to make it right before Eureka Springs next weekend. There are SO many little problems to solve that no matter how thoughtfully planned the project it just takes time to sort through everything.

The bad news is that I'm fighting an oil leak at the driver rear head bolt that accumulates oil which drips directly down onto the downpipe. I posted an inquiry in the general discussion forum so hopefully that can be fixed. Also need to sort out an oil leak at the turbo feed line and then should be almost ready.... that is if I can get a workable tune on the car.

The good news is that the SDS system lived up to their promise... hook it up and turn the key and it should start right up... and it did. Exhaust sounds pretty mean with a nice growl... very different from what I remember the IE stainless system sounding like... can't wait to hear it at full song.

Here's a pic of the wiring as it stands... everything looks pretty tidy. I'll take some detailed pics soon (especially if I can't make it to Eureka), otherwise stay "tuned"...

Top secret new wheels on the way too! Will have them on before V@V!

post-2492-13667624450372_thumb.jpg

Aaron

UPDATE:

The car was finally running and ready to tune at about 2pm last Thursday, and I wanted to leave Friday morning to travel to MidAmerica 02 Fest... not much time to tune. Things didn't start off well as it became immediately apparent how poor my idea to route the valve cover breather back into the throttle body was... First pass under boost and BANG... metal clang, parts flying out underneath the car, gobs of white smoke... quick shut down. I puckered every sphincter thinking I had blown the engine. Luckily, the poor crankcase ventillation of the M10 coupled with my routing of the breather into the throttle body built so much crankcase pressure to blow the distributor plug out of the head and spewed oil on the hot exhaust. Luckily nothing caught fire and I put a spare distributor back in to block off the hole... note now the valve cover ventillation plumbed into a catch can with better results.

The good news is that despite little tuning time, I was able to drive about 700 miles round trip to and from Arkansas without incident. I still have lots of fine tuning to do, especially part throttle response, but the fact that I made it there and back is incredible. Power is very good with 8 pounds of boost and passing is a breeze... before you know it I'm doing 90 mph and zipping right around the car ahead without any effort. Turbo builds boost starting about 2750 rpm, with useable boost in just over 3000 rpm.

Head gasket held up well, and the ARP bolt leaking was fixed by putting some thread locker on the threads and using the stock washer underneath.

Here are some finished photos... will clean up the valve cover breather to catch can hose with the proper piece in the next few days.

Exhaust sounds awesome, low rumble, glad I didn't use a resonator.

Next stop, V@V!!!

post-490-13667624825704_thumb.jpg

post-490-13667624828128_thumb.jpg

post-490-13667624830533_thumb.jpg

post-490-13667624832698_thumb.jpg

post-490-13667624834781_thumb.jpg

Aaron