• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual gas pedal keeps coming off

gusopenshaw

I had this same problem in my '68 race car....at 100MPH down the straight away. The pedal came loose from the left hand nub, and then wedged itself between the accelerator linkage and the trans tunnel....wide open throttle! Boy was that a moment at the entrance of turn 2!

I spoke to several other '02 racers (including the guys at IE) and they all said the same thing. Goto to the hardware store and purchase a door hinge and 4 bolts. Mount the hinge to the floor such that the hinge folds behind the gas pedal (you can't see it or feel it with your heel), and the pedal itself. This will ensure it never comes loose from the worn nubs and seats again!

If however, you are trying to stay stock, I would say a new gas pedal should do. The nubs are steel. The pedal is rubber. So if anything is worn...it's the rubber.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Mark

just pull the pedal off & check it out. Those prongs can rust & get smaller over time, if you have rust.

I use a small rubber mallet to get the base of the pedal back on the metal nubs, when re-installing.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

yep, the steel nubs rust away and get smalller. solution is to use some of that plastic steel epoxy stuff to build it back up. various forms of this stuff from different manufacturers are available at any autoparts store. form it into a ball around the old stub. let it set. use corse emery cloth to sand down to ball shape of correct size. reattach gas pedal. done.

2xM3

Go to to the hardware store and purchase a door hinge and 4 bolts. Mount the hinge to the floor such that the hinge folds behind the gas pedal (you can't see it or feel it with your heel), and the pedal itself. This will ensure it never comes loose from the worn nubs and seats again.

I agree. I did the same thing some time back. Works great.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

I had this same problem in my '68 race car....at 100MPH down the straight away. The pedal came loose from the left hand nub, and then wedged itself between the accelerator linkage and the trans tunnel....wide open throttle! Boy was that a moment at the entrance of turn 2!

I spoke to several other '02 racers (including the guys at IE) and they all said the same thing. Goto to the hardware store and purchase a door hinge and 4 bolts. Mount the hinge to the floor such that the hinge folds behind the gas pedal (you can't see it or feel it with your heel), and the pedal itself. This will ensure it never comes loose from the worn nubs and seats again!

If however, you are trying to stay stock, I would say a new gas pedal should do. The nubs are steel. The pedal is rubber. So if anything is worn...it's the rubber.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Mark

Have any pics of this? Had this happen at NJMP at a drivers school last year, but I was trying accelerate out of turn one and almost had 3 cars run in the back of me when the damn pedal got stuck in the idle position. I ended up kicking the pedal out and getting to it go again.

Agreed on the rust, they do fall apart after 30+ years.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I don't have any pics. However, it's pretty straightforward. Attach hinge to pedal at bottom, lean it toward the driver, and attach to the floor. You'll have to "ease" the pedal into the slot for the accelerator linkage after you screw it to the floor.

The other way involves removing the carpet and attaching the hinge closer to the driver.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

• 2 weeks later...