fxtbass

New member intro 76' 2002, valve noise question?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Looking at you tube seems almost all 02's have noisy valve's and rough idles.

Mine does been lashed three times a .006" is this normal?

My 76' 2002 is very noisy too. It sounds kind of like a coinstar in washing machine, but all valves are within the .006-.008 spec. I've been curious if it's louder than it should be. Can someone drop some knowledge?

Sounds like you guys have some worn top ends.

My engine is newly rebuilt, adjusted .008-.01 and has virtually no valve train noise.

im willing to bet your springs are going.

Guest Anonymous
Looking at you tube seems almost all 02's have noisy valve's and rough idles.

Mine does been lashed three times a .006" is this normal?

With respect to MossyBoy, the valve train will never be as quiet as one with hydraulic lifters. Some noise is to be expected. It has been described by many as similar to the ticking of a sewing machine.

Still, if you have wear in the valve train, particularly at the rockers, the rocker shafts, or the cam lobes - adjustment will only go so far and is not a substitute for decent parts. Since you are adjusting the lash when the rocker is not under tension, it is possible that your adjustment does not take into account the wear already mentioned.

It is also possible that the noise you hear is not from the rockers or the cam at all. The noise you describe could be from the timing chain, especially if the tensioner has not been properly bled, or from a worn chain itself. It is also possible the noise is from a loose oil spray bar that sits atop of the valve train. Some complaints about noise may even come from using a weight of oil that is too light. With a well worn engine, on a hot day - the difference in noise between 30 weight and 20w-50 can be dramatic.

Another possibility, although quite remote is your confusing the noise with an exhaust leak somewhere at or near the exhaust manifold. It can mimic a knock or a rap and if there is more than one leak, it can make a racket. (I said remote.)

Before you condemn any part of the engine, get a stethoscope and localize the noise.

hth

Thanks guys I think you have answered most of my question. Mine sounds just like solid lifter noise with a little bit of worn top end. Didn't know for sure that they were solid lifters.

My valves are pretty clackity on my '76. I just got a valve adjustment & they seem even louder...?!

Right now I'm using 20/50w oil. My mechanic said to switch to 10/40w oil.

Does that make sense?

Has anyone on the faq used AMSOIL oil on their cars?

( I know my engine is probably ready to go but I'm not in a place financially to replace it now.)

my freshly rebuild 74' automatic is very quiet.

you can actualy hear the mechanical fuel pump noise (which i thought it was a rod noise at first)...

the valves are barely noticeable.

id recommend only 20w50 for hot climate.