• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter position

finkbuilt

Man, I thought that it was just me, that I made some mistake during my Automatic to 5 speed conversion. You see, I positioned the shifter right in the middle of the hole, but upon driving the car, I discovered that you had to scoot the seat really far forward to be able to reach the shifter, and then even lean forward to go into first etc..

Well, I just noticed this paragraph in the wikipedia entry about the NK:

Contemporary reports praised the all-round visibility and the commanding driving position while recording that it was necessary to lean forward a little to engage first and third gears due to the long travel distance of the gear lever

I am going to shorten my shifter link a little more, and maybe even bend the shifter to bring it back a bit.

Does anyone with an original manual car find the shifting position to be too far forward?

73 Riviera Daily driver 2002 - MS, 9.5:1, cam, LSD

Steve - finally drove mine today.

yes 1st/ 3rd is far forward. My seat is pretty far back

Had not fully realized it until I thought about it.

I bet the 5 speed is a nice addition. How do you like it ?

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

looking at the NK parts diagrams for the 4 speed -

the shifter lever is noticably bent back - way more

that the nearly straight up and down 2002 shifter.

Much different levers!

Isn't the orig. NK trans sitting further foward in the body?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Steve - finally drove mine today.

yes 1st/ 3rd is far forward. My seat is pretty far back

Had not fully realized it until I thought about it.

I bet the 5 speed is a nice addition. How do you like it ?

Well the 5 speed s nice, compared to the old automatic. I have some some tunnel clearance issues, so there are some terrible noises from time to time when the cluch slave rubs against the car. I also used a 2002 shifter, so I have the aforementioned far-forward shift position. The diff is 4.10, so gearing is a bit low. I am going to look for a 3.91, but those are scarce in a sideloader.

I dont feel quite "sorted" yet. but, yeah it's nice.

I started building the megasquirt fo it as well. I'm going to go EDIS first, then fuel injection, using the Early 320i "tii style" CIS manifold. It should look mildly period correct. As we all know, the 2000 was the original tii !!

Anybody have a proper shifter for sale? ;)

73 Riviera Daily driver 2002 - MS, 9.5:1, cam, LSD

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 1966 2000ti with a whole buncha upgrades done to it. I have a 5 speed in mine and find 1st, 3rd and 5th you have to lean a bit forward for. I opted for a 320 tranny for the 5 speed upgrade and you do have to pound out the area around the clutch cylinder for clearance.

I also swapped the back end out with a 528e so its got rear disc brakes, heavy sway bar and the diff. The ratio I believe for the diff is 2.9. Drives like a freight liner, but the car will do 80 mph in 5th gear at just about under 3,000 RPM's. Great for gas milage (I get about 26-29 MPG).

I've also upgraded to a Tii motor, front suspension, brakes (including the booster).