white2k2

Help diagnose starting issue

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

could my fuel pump/regulator be toast? Im not seeing any fuel in the filter near the engine.

I recently replaced the point in the distributor which was the fix for a no start issue a month ago.

May be time for an electric pump.

thanks in advance

CW

You won't necessarily see much fuel in the fuel filter during normal operation. Remove the top of your air filter, hold the choke flap(s) open and pump the throttle. If you have fuel in the carb, you should see a jet of fuel into the primary carb throat.

Guest Anonymous

They draw fuel from the tank by sucking it.

If you have a tiny leak in the fuel lines between the pump and the tank - like an old, cracked rubber hose or a loose hose clamp - you may be sucking air instead of fuel.

If you don't find fuel in the carb - check for a leak.

Guest Anonymous

Hi there

I thought the same thing last week. What I did was I pulled the fuel line that leads to the carb. I placed that line in a clear empty water bottle then I cranked the ignition a few times. The results were that I could clearly see that the fuel was pulsating out of the fuel line and into the bottle, no fuel issue.

Then I thought I would check the spark, I pulled the coil wire from the distributor. I had spark, no coil issue.

Then I pulled the distributor cap to look at it's condition, while looking at it I discovered that the spring loaded (for lack of the exact term) had come unseated, essentially broken...I replaced the distributor cap, it started just fine.

However, another problem just happened to crop up while driving my car conked out on the freeway. Again I went to the distributor cap and I discovered that my points were to tight, I adjusted them , and I have not looked back since....

Anyway, hopefully it's something small

ira

P.S.: mechanical pumps work just fine for carbs (even dual DCOEs), and they are less complicated to use (you don't need to worry about specs, wiring, etc.). However, if you go with an electric pump, you will need to make sure that you do not exceed ~3 PSI on the output. You can do this buy buying a pump spec-ed for use with carbs, or using a fuel pressure regulator.

Guest Anonymous
could my fuel pump/regulator be toast? Im not seeing any fuel in the filter near the engine.

I recently replaced the point in the distributor which was the fix for a no start issue a month ago.

May be time for an electric pump.

thanks in advance

CW

You really aren't describing a problem other than you can't see fuel. Is the engine running? Cutting out? Auditioning for River Dance? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO FIX?

Regulator? Are you currently running an electric pump, otherwise, what regulator are you referring to? As others have said, seeing little fuel is no guarantee that fuel delivery is restricted or non existent. Why not see if you are getting fuel by cranking and allowing fuel to collect in a container?

The fact that you mention replacing ignition points has about as much to do with fuel delivery as tire pressure. Have you cleaned your windscreen lately?

Guest Anonymous
could my fuel pump/regulator be toast?

I'm with Calvin. You are unclear. Is it the engine won't start? or Hard start? Cold or hot?

Like everyone said, check for fuel and spark. Can you pull a plug and see if its wet with fuel or dry? Will the plug spark when the engine is cranked and the plug grounded? Does you carb have a functioning choke? You have a coil that is getting 12V at startup hint: ballast bypass. Battery up to cranking? Old Gas?

hth