Guest Anonymous

i need pics of a return pipe

21 posts / 2384 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

hello everyone, i am getting ready to install some dcoe 40's and cant find any good pics on how to do the return pipe install.

Guest Anonymous

i didnt give enough info sry. i want to see the hoses connected to the pipe and the fittings i will need to hook up the return pipe

i didnt give enough info sry. i want to see the hoses connected to the pipe and the fittings i will need to hook up the return pipe

I took hoses & chopped them up to couple the pipe to the pump & to the heater output. between the pipe & pump was easy, since it's a straight run, the heater end is not easy, and I'm not happy with how mine looks. I'd also like to see how everyone else does that connection, and what angled hose they used.

here's what I used between the pump inlet and water pipe. The larger end slides over the water pump inlet nicely, then I cut the other end to length, and it also fit over the water pipe nicely:

Heater HoseHeater Core to Int. Manifold (Return)

http://www.europartsdirect.com/item-image.asp?imageUrl=http://12.153.160.115/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/imc/images/full/64211351311.jpg

Guest Anonymous

agree fully, send in some pics guys

OK boys here you go.

The top pipe is for a 320i (E21) with the short extension (left end) cut off and welded shut. The mounting tab lines up exactly with a threaded hole in the block.

The middle pipe is an original ti (used).

The bottom pipe is a copper ti replica (I wished they had told me that) from Cahsel in Germany.

Photo of engine shows install of 320i pipe (which was previously posted on this site I believe).

post-14940-13667620519789_thumb.jpg

post-14940-1366762052125_thumb.jpg

it's the rubber hose that comes off the heater box, and connects to the pipe, we're interested in (far right of pic). What hose are people using? The hose we're asking about, is only partially shown in that pic. (which is a great pic.) Nice pipe display.

It's the same heater return/ intake hose normally used, only you cut it off to fit the bypass pipe. I can't remember if the early hose (to 5/'72--64.21.1.351.311) fits better than that later one (6/'72 on--64.21.1.356.170), altho I have the 170 and it fits fine (with a little twisting into position).

I wish I had a pic of my pipe before I installed it. The pipe is larger on the firewall end, than the pump end, and larger than the stock hose from the heater core for my '76, so I had to step-up the size of the hose. I'd be better off replacing my pipe & starting over.

The stock hose should definitely work w/ the correct pipe. I just took a look at my set-up & that's what's going on.

hmmm...i have had three m10 engines and they all have had water pipes shaped like the 320i one that has the 90deg bend at the firewall end. is there a heater hose that works with this end? rather not use two hoses with some sort of connector.

I just got a hose and new pipe from BLUNT, which I haven't had time to install yet. I just got the hose & did some measurements in the engine bay, and it appears this hose will work perfectly. The piece that angles upward to the right will be cut off.

HOSE COUPLER (PUMP>PIPE):

Part #: 11 53 1 266 472

PIPE (320I):

Part#: 11 53 1 266 817

RETURN HOSE (Heater Core>Water by-pass Pipe):

Part#: 64 21 1 354 308

Couples pipe to pump:

11531266472.jpg

Pipe & Return Hose:

IMG_8364.jpg

IMG_8367.jpg

IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8370.jpg[/url]

lol...you must be the "other guy" steve just sent a hose to. i ordered the "other" part number hose. the one for a tii to see if it would fit. is that part you ordered the stock o2 part? i will have to go look it up.