FJDLLC

NE1 use D.L.S in Georgia for driveshaft work

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I need to get my driveshaft shortened and rebuilt. I have read about Driveline Service in Portland but this company in GA is a lot closer to me in S.W. FL. Anyone use them? I saw thier ad in the Roundel.

The shop in Georgia is closer. If you are just having your drive line shortened and rebalanced most driveline shops can do that if they have balancer that can balance a two piece drive shaft. If you are going to have it rebuilt I would recommend you ship it to Portland. The joints in the stock driveline are not serviceable and need to be replaced when they fail. Driveline Services of Portland has come up with replacement joints that are serviceable and can be rebuilt when they fail which could save you money in the future.

Mark

A friend just had his e30M3 DS rebuilt by the GA place and was impressed.

By word of mouth, a hole- in- the- wall place near Atlanta rebuilt my M Coupe DS a couple yrs ago and I was pleased.

Just an FYI.

great experience with dls portland. sw fla to ga is a LONG way. while ga may be "closer" to you, unless you intend to drive there the distance is irrelevant....it will be put in a box and shipped from either place......

Does Portland have the lengths and dimensions to make a 5 speed DS? In other words can you just ship them a 4 speed DS and the Front half of the 320i DS and say make me a 5speed DS with the 3 bolt (6 bolt guibo) flange?

John

i got a 5spd ds in a custom length. just have to call them and tell them what you want. don't need to send them any parts. they will make whatever you need in whatever length you want. just ship them a useable ds back when you get your new one to get the small core charge back. ez! great product.

btw...all 2002's are not the same. there is no canned 5spd ds length. you must measure your car precisely and order what your car needs.

btw...all 2002's are not the same. there is no canned 5spd ds length. you must measure your car precisely and order what your car needs.

I hear that a lot, but I can't imagine that every 4 speed car has a slightly different or "custom" length drive shaft. The 5 speeds (of the same kind) are all the same length so what gives there? I know there is some slotting in the rear diff mount and I think the motor mounts are moveable a little as well.

Hmm....

John

manufacturing tolerances were not the same when these car were built and there is no sliding joint in the ds like there is in later bmw's. add in variances in bushings in the driveline and you get different lengths. the diff slots only have 1/4 in of play. there was well over that amount of difference between my 73 and my 75...with the exact same engine, transmission and engine mounts.

the cars are different...measure twice, cut once....